Thread: '66S identification help

'66S identification help

I looked at a car for sale that is registered as a 1966 911S, however there is evidence of VIN tampering. The ID plate at the front lid latch is missing, and the A-pillar tag has incorrect rivets but matches the sketchy looking stamping near the smugglers box that indicates it is a '66 912. This is a restoration project that still has all of the S trim and chassis components in place. The block was changed, but the engine retains the requisite S bits.
    I am wondering if anyone can provide information regarding a location for full serial number that may still be found on the shell.

Thanks for your help,

Jones

Restoration newbie.
    There should be a production number stamped into the dash, for these early cars the production number is the same as the chassis number.

Here's a pic I borrowed from Pelican parts:

Name:  SIDonthedash1252442082.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  91.7 KB

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It sounds as though you're suspicious of the vin stamping underhood. I wonder why someone would tamper with it to result in a '66 912. Especially if the car has been 'converted' to a 911. by chance, is the car white? Brian
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Andy is correct, the VIN is stamped into the knee bar portion of the dash frame. The same # is written with grease pencil on the upper left corner of the dash top, just below the windshield, and behind the instruments; naturally the dash covering needs to be removed, and probably the windshield also. If the car was a 912, then there may also be another number that is easy to find. If the VIN is a 45xxxx or 46xxxx series then the body was by Karmann, and the paint tag should be by Karmann. If the VIN is higher than 452800, then remove the access panel on the tunnel just in front of the rear seats; on the left side of the tunnel (covered by carpet) you might find another 45xxxx series # (this is the Karmann body #). If the VIN was for a 912 (any VIN with x5zzzz up to the end of 1967) then it would not be a 911. If you have photos, but do not want to post them, then PM me for an email address, and I will examine them.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

There is no such thing as a "66S". That alone, should raise some flags.

Ciao

Jim

It is a mystery... not a white car.

I'll see if the seller will remove the lower dash trim to expose the stamping.

Agree with Jim...right off the bat. There were no 1966 911S cars.
    They started production of the '67 MY in 3rd quarter of '66, but they were '67 models.
    My 306572S was built in Dec. '66, but it's a '67 911S.
    Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

That's what I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    There is no such thing as a "66S". That alone, should raise some flags.

Ciao

Jim
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Reminds me of a friend joking around that he needed a radiator for a 1970 Super Beetle—and a know-it-all responded, "That's dumb, the Super Beetle wasn't offered in 1970."

Please post pics of the car so we can figure out what it is..exactly..
    Per Schroeder