Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: @eBay - 1973.5 911T Silver (complete resto)

FS: @eBay - 1973.5 911T Silver (complete resto)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...#ht_2927wt_912

I wanted to post this car here so the group could discuss the restoration work done, it's correctness, and it's potential value.
    I will start. Firstly, the car looks fabulous, and it is hard for me to fathom someone's willingness to restore a 69-73 911T to this level and somehow expect to get their money back out at the end. An S would be a different story. The only small things I see about the car which could be improved upon would be: the yellow engine shroud should be black instead of yellow. The 2.4T yellow shroud is correct for the MFI models. The black was used for the 73.5T. However, looking at the shroud itself, the injection hole cutouts seem to look correct for the CIS. I am wondering if the shroud was simply repainted yellow from black, or if the new shrouds for CIS are only being offered in yellow. Secondly, the dash looks like it has been recovered in vinyl instead of buying a new one. Third, if one is going this far in committing a near flawless restoration, why jetcoat a pair of banged up heat exchangers?Why not just drop an extra grand on a brand new set of SSI's?
    All in all, a beautiful car. The only question left is how much is a concourse level 73.5 911T worth? I am going to venture around $75-80k. That having been said, at this level of restoration, can a silver 2.4 911S targa with similar level restoration be worth $30-40k more simply based upon the extra 50hp?

The intake runners are incorrectly painted grey, they should be gloss black
    the add does state that the "engine cover" shroud was painted yellow, it looks better than the original black but is not correct...
    also the engine latch panel has a square bump on the left, most likely it was replaced with a later (74+) one, and the white plastic plugs are missing on the top of the rear rubber bumpers

This is all "small beans" great to see this level of restoration on "only a CIS T"
    Last edited by Gumby; 05-07-2013 at 03:06 AM.
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

The engine latch panel could be original.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Reserve was quoted at 95K.

The same car also on TheSamba for $99900:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1471265
    1973 911T targa (9113510254)
    signal yellow & black
    M409 sportseats leatherette & corduroy
    M424 fuel tank 85 l with emergency tire
    M470 comfort equipment
    M473 front bumper steel with spoiler

Two questions... I've not seen back seats done this way. Look very cool. Was that an option on late long nose cars, or available throughout early cars?

Is it me, or does the right door color look off from the rear quarter? They only show one photo, but has that same "door off" mismatch look, if my eyes don't deceive me. They show 3 pics on drivers side, but... Only 1 on passenger?
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Restoration? . . .

Looking at the Seller's flicker gallery . . . over on page 11 are some photos of the car 'as found'

Looked like a really nice original car . . . before

Now?

I mean --- it's shiny + pretty enough . . .

. . . but I keep thinking back to that gold CIS Targa that sold, coupla months back . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...+gold%2C+targa

. . . did this silver car really need to be restored?

I know a lot of 'high-end' Ferraris seem to get serial restorations, just like this --- those things can never be perfect enough, seems . . . but why re-do a car that looked like it all it really needed was a good bath?

I mean --- after all the paint gets scraped-off, the upholstery re-done, + every frickin' bit re-painted/-plated/-placed . . .

. . . seems like the car's been turned into a re-production ----

--- of itself!

Bless the people who can take a mess, then make it nice --- like Alan's project . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-of-a-RHD-2.2S.

But this? . . .

I mean --- even the license plate didn't escape!

We Can Be Heroes

I think vintage cars fall into two groups.

Those that try to be as "original" as possible and those that are "recreated". Eventually ALL cars have to be recreated as time takes its toll even in a time capsule. The problem is that the most original and low mile cars command such a premium that they can't be had by all.......so recreating is the only option.

If the car is able to be "minimally restored" then so be it. But it's like a loose thread sometimes, and it's hard to stop if half the car is NOS and the other half is original. I personally don't mind a tired looking body but I hate a tired looking interior. If I restore the interior but leave the body........looks a little strange and vise versa.

There's obviously an "ass for every seat". I don't know much about these yet so I can't comment on the quality of the restoration but it sure looks good.

I'm also curious for opinions about the anything that is "incorrect" or "missing" on this restoration. Looks like so far it's only two color infractions.........gray intake pipes and yellow engine cover.

Can anyone else add more to the list??

Some CIS cars have yellow covers, mine included. Its probably correct.

For the asking price, since the maximum speed for the '73 911T is 129 mph, the tires should be V rated reproductions of 185/70VRx15 CN36s or XWXs. "S" speed rated tires are for entry-level Kias. Back in the day, at a minimum the base '73 T had "H" rated 165 HR x 15 as the standard tire size mount on steel wheels.

S = 112 mph
    H = 130 mph
    V = 149 mph

Edit: And one other little nit; the 'Weltmeister Decal' window sticker on the right (passenger) side of the targa window is for the late 1974 model year. The correct decal only lists '1972'. The results for the 1973 series would not have been available to publish at the point of the 1973 model year production.
    Last edited by DOUGS73E; 05-10-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548