Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why

Why

1. Why do people take down sales threads? I bought a stereo radio here that as it turns out I no longer need (because I got a different one) and I was going to reuse the photos and sell it but the whole thread has seemed to disappear. What is the point of that?
    2. I don't see the PM's I have sent for the last couple of years just the ones I have received.

Thank you. Yale
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

1: I don΄t know
    2: Click on settings- then general settings and change to save a copy of sent messages.

Good luck!
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    1. Why do people take down sales threads? I bought a stereo radio here that as it turns out I no longer need (because I got a different one) and I was going to reuse the photos and sell it but the whole thread has seemed to disappear. What is the point of that?
    They take up space on the server?
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

The item is sold so there's no point leaving the ad up. To me anyways.

With rare Porsche parts, it helps to know values if you are putting something up for sale.

After all, we do it on the cars for sale part of the forum. Sales tracking threads exist on cars to help establish pricing trends (and provide a forum for some to vent, apparently).
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Lightbulb

Gentleman,

We try to keep all sales info archived. However, the initial thread poster has the right to delete their own post (we decided that right was a good thing a LONG time ago)…. then I take it off the board and clear the space completely.

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

To me taking down a sales thread or even blanking out the price paid, or asked for, is against the purpose of this forums and forums like this. Who does it actually benefit to have this sort of information deleted, not the early Porsche community as a whole. It always smacked to me of covering your tracks, for whatever the reason actually is/was.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

I’m the “one person” Yale is talking about here. Yale once again (as I told you via email yesterday) I apologize for any inconvenience the deletion of my ad/thread might have caused. I deleted the ad/thread simply because I did not know how to mark it sold and not to cover any tracks or to hide anything plus, I do not think there are any rules when it comes to deleting your own threads (if there are any rules, please someone let me know, I wouldn’t want to upset anyone) I figured the item was already paid, shipped and received so I did not see the big deal of having something out there that is not available any-longer.

Yale, this post is not in any way written to attack you or to be defensive. I just wanted to share my thoughts and reasons.

As you said in your initial post, all you needed the ad for, was to use the photos to re-sell it. It would have been easier to get a camera and get new photos than getting a headache from something that is not that important (in my humble opinion).

There are so many people that do not wish for everyone to know how much they are paying for items and there are others that don’t care (such as me). If I like something and everyone thinks I paid too much, I don’t really care… I like it, I bought it and that is all that matters. So in other words, damn if you do delete damn if you don’t.

There are many “Items for sale” in here that are sold and sellers forget to either delete or mark them as sold, in my humble opinion that is worst.

Yale, hope all is well.

Carlos
    Last edited by CD19; 05-09-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Hi Carlos, though my original question referred to you taking down the radio sales thread, I asked you what happend and you sent me the photos and explained the situation. Just so you understand, my post directly above was not regarding you and that is why I didn't want to mention your name. I have bought items in the past though where the photos in the thread, but not the thread, disappeared and I do see threads where the price disappears, and as I said above that just seems wrong in a place that is about sharing information and not just about commerce.

I am sorry Carlos that you felt that I was writing about you, I did worry about that when I wrote that so I do apologize.

All the best,

Yale
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Yale,

I totally understand and I also see your point!!

All good here so don't worry

Carlos