Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fame in 1973...Carrera RS and Secretariat

Nobody asked....but here they are anyway...
    And YES, that's me....in the Hawaiian shirt...
    Too bad I don't have ANY photos of my 356 B Coupe from those days....
    The BID on top, and Secretariat on the bottom.... I guess they WERE standing stud on the same farm.
    With friends Michael and Nancy Riordan...and an employee of the farm....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 69Sman; 05-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    It's fascinating to read the background info on Secretariat. He died at age 19 and a necropsy was performed where they found his heart to be in perfect condition - estimated to weigh 22 pounds and 2.75 times larger than a normal horse. That's a 3.8L twin-plug hotrod!
    Yes, he was the 'perfect storm' of physiology and desire like we have never seen before or since.

http://www.secretariat.com/
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Oh that is so cool Stacy (not the shirt, the horse)

Thanks for posting these.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

While I am really looking forward to the Treffen 'parking lot waltz' this Saturday afternoon, I will sneak off for a few glorious moments to watch the Preakness...to see if Orb will join the 22 who won the first two legs of the Triple Crown. There have been a dozen or so since Affirmed won in 78, and it always adds to the excitement of those heart-pounding 2+ minutes. In anticipation (before I leave for Treffen on Friday), I will watch those Youtube clips again of Secretariat's historic victories...and still catch my heart up in my throat as the announcer's voice in that Belmont victory builds to the finish line crescendo.

Here's another wonderful 2 minutes of history...Seabiscuit in a match race with Triple Crown winner War Admiral. Seabiscuit didn't race in the Triple Crown races as a 3 year old, because he was over raced as a 2 year old (35 starts, 5 wins), and was a poor performer as a 3 year old (23 starts, 9 wins). He was brought along by the trainer Tom Smith, an old western cowboy who was sort of a 'horse whisperer' after being bought by Charles Howard. Another great movie (Seabiscuit) if you like come back stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVT2MPNCqgM
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

One of the greatest in history, but I don't see him quite as you do. In TB racing the clock does not tell the whole story. Not to rain on Sec's parade at all….a great athlete all around. We're not supposed to compare different eras, but a few thoughts on 'Citation' fwiw..

Absolute speed is relative to the track and the competition. The horse that gets across the finish line under these conditions, of duress race-after-race is what make a legend. Citation's career is discussed in whole but he was never the same horse at 'five' he was at three. Pressed to continue by owners who forced him to endure things never condoned today. But, what he did as a three year old is astounding. At 2, raced and defeated 3 and 4 year old 'champions'….unheard of at the time or since. Often, just a few days rest between races.

As far as endurance and speed, Sec was phenomenal …in excellent condition, and no health issues. Arcaro said, " 'Most horses have one or two moves in a race…Citation had about eight." i.e, speed and gears. Never won by more than 5 - 6 lengths, usually just a few. What he did was handle all the competition. (19 - 20 ) His loss to Witch's broom...

Citation's jockey Al Snider had a freak incident of fishing in the shoals of Florida Keys, when a windstorm whipped up...and he was never seen again. So, Arcaro was called in on short notice, and he made a few errors, that snowballed. Horse and jockey must be in sync. Too much to expect in a few days. Anyway, it should be 20 / 20.

________
    Last edited by 62S-R-S; 04-15-2014 at 11:11 PM.

I agree Citation was a great racehorse, and that beating all the other horses in a race is really what counts in the WINS column. It usually takes great competition to make a horse great, and the field of horses in any race on any given day can bring surprises to the best. Both Secretariat and Citation suffered defeats when they seemingly shouldn't have been beaten. I have bred, raised and trained quite a few horses (not racehorses), and know that small health issues can affect a horse, yet go undetected by a trainer or owner. Also, horses are not machines that perform repeatedly the same time after time. (But even F1 cars are fastest on one track and then the next week are not competitive...) That is what makes horse racing so interesting to follow. Secretariat's record of 21-16-3 shows that even the best physical horse ever does not always win. Citation's record of 32-10-2 shows much the same. The variables of track conditions, jockey, competition, training, health issues, and maybe the most important...what is in the horses mind during the race.

Which racehorse is the greatest of all time will never be agreed upon by everyone. There are great stories associated with many....Man O' War is considered by many as the greatest, and his blood was in both Secretariat and Seabiscuit. However, Secretariat still holds the WORLD's FASTEST TIMES on dirt for races of 1 3/16 to 1 5/8 mile, and is just 0.2 sec off the 1 1/8 mi. world record.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Well....how about:

Seattle Slew
    Native Dancer (21 for 22)
    Affirmed (time has not been kind (breeding wise) to this INCREDIBLE animal...
    Man o' War (20 for 21)
    'The Bid'
    Dr Fager.....

ETC.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Here is a neat video comparing Secretariat's times to those of Man O' War. It's pretty convincing evidence of the claim that Secretariat was the fastest race horse ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ0jnHuqsX4
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Just watched the Belmont...Palace Malice won it, but he was more than 6 seconds slower (on a 'fast' track) than Secretariat's Belmont. This year 3 different horses won each leg of the Triple Crown, Orb (Kentucky Derby), Oxbow (Preakness), which again just shows how difficult it is for one 3 year old horse to run 3 big races in 5 weeks and win them all.

Edit: One comment made during the run-up to the race was that 9 or the 14 horses running had Secretariat in their bloodline.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 06-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

It seems that 1973 was quite a year for historic events.

US Supreme Court makes decision on Roe vs. Wade
    OPEC announces restriction of oil sent to countries supporting Isreal, oil prices rise by 200%
    Alaska Oil Pipeline gets approval
    Watergate hearings begin
    US troops are withdrawn from Viet Nam

Secretariat's Triple Crown victories and Porsche's Carrera RS probably had less of an impact on world's stage, but today they are a source of nostalgia for many. Every time I watch Secretariat's wins, I get a tear in my eye. Seeing another restored Carrera RS doesn't have quite the same effect, but watching Youtube clips of the 73 Targa Florio with those Martini RSRs comes close.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17