Thread: Fuel filter fight

Fuel filter fight

In trying to take the fuel filter off a MFI '69S, the outer casing is spinning while the internal part of the filter is still threaded and stuck. There is some sort of sending unit on top of the filter mounting housing with a bolt that goes through the top of the housing unit for the filter. Does that bolt go down into the threading bolt that goes into the top of the filter?

If not, what would be the best way to get a filter off that has a stripped outer casing? I may sound primal, but I was thinking of shoving a screwdriver through all the metal plies and torquing on it to get it free. I'm working on the premise that the filter mount housing is still intact, and all the issues lie with the filter.

Battery is disconnected. It sure is a scary design to have a fuel system like that wedged between an ignition box and other electrical components while hovering over the wires that connect them, sharing the same bracket, nonetheless.

Thank you for any insight you may have.

The "sending unit" is the solenoid for the cold start system- it is simply an electric valve.

The "bolt" is actually a pressure regulation device or bleeder screw, it does not connect to the filter.

The filter is held on by a hollow threaded piece very similar to that which holds the oil filter. If it has stripped out of the aluminum filter console, the filter will spin and spin.

I think the best way to tackle this is to remove the filter console, it is held to the bracket of the engine room by two bolts. Take careful note of where the ground straps attach. Remember that there will be 1 bar of fuel pressure in the lines, wear safety glasses and take extreme caution, gasoline is about the most toxic and dangerous substance this side of a nuclear reactor.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 304065; 05-11-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

A picture says a thousand words. Thank you for the inside view of the fuel console, it explains a lot. I'll try to pull the whole console off and see where I go from there. I really appreciate the insight. To be continued...

Anyone have a part number for the fitting on the bottom of the fuel filter? Are they NLA?
    72S, 72T now ST

Mine is a hose, attached by a hollow bolt that screws into the base of the filter.

Right, looking for that screw fitting and crush washer on the bottom of the filter.
    72S, 72T now ST

I'll take a look and see if something is stamped on it.

I believe you are looking for parts 3 & 4

901 110 912 00 Connection Piece Lower
    900 123 006 25 Sealing Ring A 12 X 18
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I got both from Porsche a few weeks back. Bought several of the sealing rings so I'll have some spares..... but just one fitting which was $25.00!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

No serial numbers stamped on it, but it is an 18MM bolt. Sorry for the late response. Work has been hectic.