Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK guys...I am hoping to hear your thoughts.

OK guys...I am hoping to hear your thoughts.

I know, I know, this is a question that has no true "answer", but I am looking for your thoughts. As a premise, I understand it is my car and I should do whatever makes me happy, and a car is not something anyone should consider an investment (like a work of art), particularly my humble 1972 911T. Humble or not, I am very happy to be my car's human. So, I am just interested in hearing your thoughts...

OK, by way of background, my car is currently in the hands of a major Porsche dealership, having a major service and tune. I brought it to them because I wanted it done right, and I wanted the car to be a reliable daily driver (if I feel like it). I also want factory backing on the work done to my car As soon as the mechanical aspects are taken care of, maybe tomorrow, the dealer is putting the car into its body shop to give it a new high end finish, from scratch. They tell me it will look like it's showroom fresh when they are done with it. The car is all original (un modified) except for the internals heads, throttle bodies and stacks of the numbers matching engine, which are 2.4 911S except for 911E cams, 014 MFI pump, and 2.4 E distributor. I also installed a 915 shifter, but kept the original shifter. The car has factory 911S trim, including the gauges, rocker covers, bumper and 911S brakes. It has original leather sport seats, and even the old Blaupunkt radio in the uncut dash. Objectively, I think this is truly a special 911T.

So here is the question: The car's original color is gold metallic, and that is still the color today unfortunately, I am not certain I like this color. Sometimes I really do, and sometimes I really don't. Maybe the poor quality of the finish on the car now makes it hard to like. anyway, I am considering choosing a more "mainstream" color. The body shop says I can choose any color I like, since they are completely dismantling the car and it won't look like a color change no matter what. However, a color change is always a "story" in my mind. I would not want to take what I consider to be a "special" 911T and create a problem with it by changing the color. If I were to do it, I would likely choose Silver Metallic, Dolphin Grey, or maybe Slate Grey. I really love Atlas Grey which I saw on a new GT3.

Here is the dilemma... "Old School" Porsche guys seem to be real sticklers for originality. I know that my car will be a respray, and therefore not really "original" regardless, but to change the color seems to always cause a hit on a car's value (by at least the cost to do a color change back to the original color), which would concern me should I ever be forced to sell my car. But the next generation of Porsche guys, who today can't always afford the cars -- but someday they will-- seem less than interested in originality. Look at the values of 911 RS clones. These are anything but original, far from it in almost every way, but they command almost absurd prices nonetheless. What's up with that?

I guess it boils down to this: Gold Metallic seems quite popular today, but I have zero plans to sell my car today. If I did, I would never consider changing the color. But since color popularity seems to be cyclical, in the future, an original Gold Metallic car might have a much smaller market and/or be worth less than a car painted in a consistently popular color, even if that color was not original to the car. I am just looking at making a smart choice for the possible future. What do you think about all of this?

Which are the original period colors that are consistently popular, other than black or red? I always love silver myself, especially on a German car. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on this topic. Thanks in advance!

Banned
    Two tips:

1. Go with original color.
    2. Rethink the whole dealer path. You will find that the pros who know these particular cars inside-and-out do not work at dealerships. But they used to... about 30 years ago.

member #1515
    I wouldn't do this at a dealer, they have NO idea of what is right. It will be done by there normal body shop guys who couldn't be bothered on what is correct.
    Gold metalic is rare and a fabulous color.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

My local TYP901 Forum helped me though a similar decision process: http://www.typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4244

My choice was easier as I knew I wanted red colour - it was a matter of which red - from (current) Guards to Polo, Bahia, or to Burgundy (original). The arguments for originality are compelling if you can live with it.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

My thought is I am getting real tired of this specific question over and over.
    Mike

Thanks. Well, I am 95% decided on keeping the gold, as I was before. Knowing me, I will just keep it original so I can save my mental bandwidth for other things. Having said that, what are some compelling arguments to keep an original color (or against doing a properly done color change)?

I know what you mean about dealer body shops. i once had to have the hood on a BMW Z3 M Coupe painted (I REALLY miss that amazing car!). The paint job they presented me with was mottled and, essentially, crap. I was not happy. But the body guy who will be doing the work on my 911 is reputed to be one of, if not the best factory-trained Porsche guy on the East Coast. The bottom line is that this is not a typical car dealer's body shop.

Quote Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
    My thought is I am getting real tired of this specific question over and over.
    No thanks for that less than helpful input, Mike. No one forced you to read or reply to this question, which is seriously nagging me. It's a really big deal for me and I have to make a decision in the next days. Make sense? Now, do you have any useful comments to make, or are you just in a bad mood and looking for someone to entertain you?

Quote Originally Posted by M491 View Post
    No thanks for that less than helpful input, Mike. No one forced you to read or reply to this question, which is seriously nagging me. It's a really big deal for me and I have to make a decision in the next days. Make sense? Now, do you have any useful comments to make, or are you just in a bad mood and looking for someone to entertain you?
    +1 to that. If you have nothing of any use to say, shut your pie hole.

My $0.02 is that you should keep it original. It will be so much better with the fresh finish if done well. Good luck and please take pictures of the process.

Dan
    1996 993 black/tan

You've gotten excellent advice here. Vintage Porsche Gold Metallic is a very special color that really stands out in any Porsche gathering. And the name on the shop means very little while the skill of the person who works on your car -- and his commitment to perfection -- mean everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Keep the car original and stay with Gold Metalic. It is such a early 1970's color! Gold Metalic is absolutely one of my very favorite colors for early 911's.