Thread: 50th Anniversary of the 911 book to be made

50th Anniversary of the 911 book to be made

Posting for a friend:

I wanted to bring to the attention to the Porsche 911 community something that might be of interest to many of you.

Rich Truesdell, an automotive journalist who contributes to a number of titles around the world, including Total 911 in the UK, has just launched an interesting project on Kickstarter, a photo book that will document the 911 from 1964 to 2013. It's his plan to photograph 50 911s, representing one for each model year, in a photo studio-like setting. (Yesterday at the post Cars and Coffee breakfast, Rich and several of the regulars discussed the merits of shoot the cars in a pure studio setting as opposed to a hanger where in both instances, Rich can have full control over lighting each car.)

Rich needs your help in two ways. First, he is looking for support for the project to defray the anticipated costs of renting an automotive photo studio or alternatively, renting one of the hangers at El Toro and the necessary lighting equipment. To do that he has posed a Kickstarter page with full details on the project at:

http://kck.st/ZS7uX3

You can pledge from $5 to $1,000 to support this project with the rewards detailed at the above link.

He also wants to connect directly with 911 owners who would like to see their car among the 50 to be selected for the book, Porsche's 911: A 50th Anniversary Album. So if you think your 911 should be among the 50 profiled, Rich invites all 911 owners, old and new, to contact him at richtruesdell at gmail dot com. When contacting Rich send him at least three exterior photos, one engine compartment photo, and an interior view of your car.

I think that this is a grassroots 911 project that deserves our support. Let's do our part to make it happen. If it all falls into place, Porsche's 911: A 50th Anniversary Album will be published on September 12, 2013, marking the 50th anniversary of the debut of the Type 901 at the 1963 Frankfurt Motor Show.

Please forward this message, and especially the Kickstarter link to other 911 and Porsche groups and forums you subscribe to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Thanks Ray for making the post alerting Early 911 Registry members aware of my 911 book project.

While the fundraising is going slower than I expected, it is picking up steam. As I get closer to my goal, I want to start getting cars lined up for the 50 subjects to be photographed so I hope that Early 911
    Registry members with take a look at the details of the project and will contact me if they are interested in having their 911 photographed for the book. If you are interested in participating, no matter what year 911 you own, please E-mail me some photographs of your 911 along with a basic 411 (year, model, how long you have owned it, and what, if any modifications you've made).

Best wishes,

Richard Truesdell
    Contributing Editor, Total 911
    Editorial Director, AutomotiveTraveler.com