Thread: Remove wiring harness - 67 firewall plugs

Remove wiring harness - 67 firewall plugs

Last step before body resto is to remove the wiring harness on my 67.

There are 3 rectangular plugs that are mounted in the firewall to transfer all the signals and power between the dash instruments and switches and the main harness in the front trunk. How are these removed?

I want to be careful because I don't want to damage them since I am sure they are hard to come by. Is there a way to pull the plugs out without damaging them? I have heard that the 67 plugs are unique in some way.

Thanks for you advice!

Mark
    1967 911S - 306465
    1980 911SC
    2005 Carrera Cabriolet

They have small metal clamps (Barb´s might be the correct term) that hold them in place, I use a small screw driver to push them in while wiggeling them out.

Regards
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

As said above they have little tabs on the sides that you can just about see in this photo, and a recess. If you press the tabs with a small screwdriver and wiggle the plug they will eventually come loose. Required a whole lot more force than I was comfortable with, but no damage was done and they went back in ok. Try not to pull on the wires.

Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Seeing the socket removed I can see the retaining clamps. Hopefully with a small screwdriver or two, I can depress the clamps and wiggle them out (toward the trunk side I presume).

Thank you for the help.

Mark
    1967 911S - 306465
    1980 911SC
    2005 Carrera Cabriolet

Don't forget to label which is which and take about 50 digital pictures of both sides.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen