Thread: Muffler Suggestions...

Muffler Suggestions...

Hello...

I am new to this board and am happy to have found it.

I have a stock 1973 911T with the exception of a 3.2 motronic engine. When I bought the car ten years ago, it had the stock 3.2 heat exchangers and exhaust. I wanted something a little more aggressive so I put a cat-bypass on it. Still, I wanted something a little more. So without doing enough research and not knowing about this message board, I bought a B&B header/muffler system. Needless to say.... while the sound is nice, it has a drone to it and the muffler looks terrible to the point of embarrassing. So the other day I was looking on ebay and found some ssi heat exchangers that came off a 85 with the o2 sensor. As an impulsive act, I bought them. So my question to you all is, what exhaust would you all recommend to get the 3.2 motor to sound nice. Since I rarely drive the car, I am looking for a little more aggressive sound while looking proper with regards to the appearence.

I have owned many pre-74 cars over the years and my current car is the best I've owned so far... (S-options including the front spoiler, Sport Seats, Sunroof, 7" Fuchs all around perfect interior and factory black exterior). I love everything about it except the muffler/exhaust. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to do it right this time!

Thanks!

PS. If anybody here knows a 74+ owner that is looking for a B&B header exhaust system, it will be for sale soon!

Put on a Dansk single-out sport muffler with the stock tip (not the big, unsightly one).

If you want noise, Dansk dual exit sport muffler.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

+1
    SSI with dual exit sport muffler will sound awesome! a 'rally' type R muffler will give you that grin

got mine from NorCal where heat is not an issue. Had stock SC muffler put on with heat exchangers. But rather than go with the stock, for $100 had the normal outlet welded closed and punched two holes in the center to give it a GT3 sort of look. Not for the purist, but my car is not pure. Sounds great. At the 24 in Daytona, compared sound and appearance with a car that had an $1800 titanium system. Nice, but my $100 unit sounded just a good. Muffler was free, the $100 was for the welding, the new outlets and paint.

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044

I thought Dansk only made their sport muffler with the 70mm exit pipe. Do they make that with the stock 60mm exit pipe?
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I'm pretty sure the Dansk sport muffler has a larger tip and, importantly, it exits at a funny angle,..to my eye,...not like the stock muffler.
    I think Monty is the best choice for those interested in a more "robust" sound but still maintaining a stock appearance. AND they will
    match the high quality of your SSIs. Not cheap, but not outrageous either.

http://www.montymufflers.com/index.html

Rich
    1970 911 t Targa

Thanks all for the advise. Went with the Dansk as Sierra Madre was running a deal on the stainless 2 into 1 exhaust. Should have it installed by next week... can't wait. I'll give you an update. Perhaps later I will buy an RS style down the road. I'll post pics. And remember, if you kjnow anyone loking for a B@B header with heat exchangers + muffler duel in duel out, let me know.

I like the Dansk sport muffler with the bigger, single outlet. Could not imagine it any other way. Its slightly bigger then stock but that’s ok by me. Sounds great also. Just a bit raspier.

Chris
    73 911 E

I had the standard 60mm tip Dansk on my 3.2 SSI and it felt a little choked at 5k+. Switching to the 70mm sport cured that with a little deeper growl to boot, but still pretty quiet in the car.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green