Thread: 68 Wiring Diagram

68 Wiring Diagram

Does anyone have a 68 wiring diagram. I already have those from Rennlist and they are not 100% accurate to the 68. My particular issue is with the hood cargo light. The Rennlist diagrams shows the power directly to the battery where mine goes through the lights switch where the lights need to be on for the cargo light to work. My issue at present is with the light switch off the cargo positive wire is resistive for some reason at approx. 4ohms. I trying to chase the circuit and see what is defective.
    1968 911T R.O.W. / 68S engine.

park lights on is correct for a 68 trunk light, now can you describe exactly from where to where you're getting 4 ohms.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'm getting four ohms from the power wire of the trunk light to ground with the lights switch off. At this point the circuit should be open with no resistance. This is with the wire disconnected from the bulb socket so it's not resistance through the bulb. The ground wire through the hood switch is functioning correctly. Is there another bulb in this circuit?

The trunk lights get their power directly from fuse 6, which is only powered with the park lights on. See if you have 12v on BOTH sides of the fuse, then disconnect the power wire (black with white stripe) from the trunk light junction and see if 12v are present at the wire. If so you have half of what you need, now reconnect the power wire, if the lights still don't come on use a jumper for a temporary ground from the bulb socket, if lights come on you have a bad ground switch. You could also remove the bulb and see if there is 12v at the bulb contact.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The trunk lights get their power directly from fuse 6, which is only powered with the park lights on. See if you have 12v on BOTH sides of the fuse, then disconnect the power wire (black with white stripe) from the trunk light junction and see if 12v are present at the wire. If so you have half of what you need, now reconnect the power wire, if the lights still don't come on use a jumper for a temporary ground from the bulb socket, if lights come on you have a bad ground switch. You could also remove the bulb and see if there is 12v at the bulb contact.
    Ed, thanks for your reply. I guess my original question was not clear, my hood cargo light works perfectly however the positive picks up resistance with the switch off. The problem is it fools my negative trigger on my alarm from the hood pin switch wich is always seeing a negative. When the light switch is off the positive wire should have infinite resistance, this is why I'm looking for a diagram, either my light switch has become resistive or there is something else in the circuit.

The license plate lights also run off of fuse 6, remove that wire from the fuse block and see what you get.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Since you're on the courtesy light circuits of the '68 I hope you can remember where I'll find the ground tap in this circuit for the passenger dome lights in a 1969S. I cleaned up the wiring on my '69 and replaced the coil to CDI wire and when I finished I had an intermittent ground to the dome lights. When I connect a jumper ground they function properly. When I remove the jumper ground they operate correctly for a couple hours then quit again. Looks like I "bumped" the ground. Any ideas??? Is the brown ground wires tap the front one or rear one? Is there another?

In order for the dome lights to come on manually the housings must be grounded to the roof when installed, then to operate just when opening the doors they must also be grounded at the door contact switch. In either case this would not be related to replacing the wire from coil to C.D. box.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.