Thread: Handling traits question for a novice.

Wink Handling traits question for a novice.

Gents I thought I would ask here first.

I have had my 2.8 TP carbed etc r car set up on a rolling road now and have a torquey powerful motor to play with. The action starts above 4500rpm and is quite "vivid", I am finding the chassis doesn't inspire my confidence , it feels quite floaty at the front under acceleration and its turn in is quicker than I am used to. I do have significant but old experience of powerful rear drive but have been pedalling an old VW golf diesel for the last 20 years so I am out of touch with rev happy rear drives with a lot of rear mass bias.

The car has a gripper LSD, 26 mm rear bars, can't remember the fronts but not too big, probably std 75 911S. It has adjustable konis at the front set in the middle and standard bilstein rear dampers. It is all polybushed with the super pro stuff.

front toe = 1/16in
    caster = 6.5 deg
    front camber = 1.5 deg negative

rear toe = 1/8in
    rear camber = 2 deg negative

It "only" has 195/65/15's at standard pressures ( can't remember the numbers)

I have a very conservatively measured 180 BHP at the rear wheels ( waiting for a full power run when its all loosened up) I will weigh the car on the calibrated bridge at work soon but know its under 1000kgs

So what does the Early 911 collective think it should "feel" like or do I have just have to grow some and learn to pedal it properly?

Short or long wheelbase ? and where do you live?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Sorry yes, its a long wheelbase, I live in the uk so think tight and twisty rather than open and curvy !!. Forgot to add it has standard '75 911S anti roll bars front and rear.

Thanks for any input / observations.

Andy

What were you expecting when you built this? I would say you have built an F-16 engine on a Piper Cub airframe! At least it's a LWB Piper Cub! I'd say you need to find a track event where amateur drivers get instruction in their cars from experienced drivers where you can learn how to keep that rocket on a leash!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    What were you expecting when you built this? I would say you have built an F-16 engine on a Piper Cub airframe! At least it's a LWB Piper Cub! I'd say you need to find a track event where amateur drivers get instruction in their cars from experienced drivers where you can learn how to keep that rocket on a leash!
    I think you could be right, hopefully it'll be fun once the fear subsides............I'm going to look for an airfield based trackday here in the uk where my lack of skill won't immediately result in ruin...

andy

As a long-time autocrosser, roadracer and stage rally guy, my recommendations would be to start with good shock absorbers (those front Konis will do, but get a matched pair for the rear) and a larger front anti-roll bar before you really go too stiff on torsion bars. It sounds like you've bumped the rates of the rear before tackling the front—you might want to rethink that. While that makes sense from a weight perspective, it'll make the car much more loose and sensitive to drop-throttle or turn-in issues. Stability is both the key to fast lap times and making the car easy to drive. Sure, oversteer is often thought of as fast—but this is often confused with people who simply overdriving slow corners and causing the car to push. You can only lose time in tight sections—but having to slow down in fast sections because the car is loose will cost even more time.

Slow in-Fast out. Not fast in, out backwards...

Per
    Per Schroeder

member #1515
    I'd get someone with more experience in these cars to drive it. They'd have a better idea if something is wrong or how to optimize the suspension, otherwise you could spend a lot of money on things you don't need.
    Usually a "floaty" front end is caused by bad shocks or old tires.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thank you folks, I'm going to get an experienced early 911 pedaller to have a steer in a controlled environment, I definitely don't have worn dampers or tyres but agree agree they would be an issue if present.

cheers

Andy

have your car corner balanced, it is very important to good handling. adjustable spring plates will make it easier.
    Last edited by 66S; 05-16-2013 at 10:42 PM.