Thread: question for you electrical wizards

question for you electrical wizards

in trying to solve a starting problem of this 74 I have, it looks like I solve one problem to create a couple more

I pulled the female plug at the back of the ignition switch and saw that the yellow wire had a fix with one of those crimped connectors
    and was creating an intermittent starting problem. I made another short wire and soldered the broken section back together.

here is where it got hairy ..for just a moment. at least, the back of the plug popped open and all the little fallic terminals slipped out of place
    yikes!, well I resorted to my shop manuals diagrams and was fortunate to i.d all the wires and locations however!! the station marked at the rear and inside also of the connector have 3 stations that give you 2 possible sockets to slip the tiny brass connectors to. see photo of the connector

you can see at the X station the x is in between 2 holes, the same with one of the no. 30 and no. 15...
    so I proceeded to choose one in each and put it all back together and started praying that that I had it right...
    well half right maybe, the car starts and drives with most everything electrical working...except brake lights and turn signals
    the bulbs all light up fine individually but once car is started I have no turn signals and the whole rear lights are lit.

am I right thinking that the switch positions of the wires would be the first clue not knowing if they were functional at all before hand as this car was towed here with frozen pedal assembly and a dead battery? no info as to whether turn signals and stop lights were working.

if anyone has an idea about the stations and why there are extra holes giving 2 posibilities.
    appreciate it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by EARLY911ZOO; 05-15-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: corrections
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Just look at one of your other cars for the correct order.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

# 2991
    I think the signal, brake and reverse lights are all on the same fuse. I think the ignition circuit ("15" red/black wire) is ok since it starts and runs. As for the rear lights on, I would check the location of the grey wire, think it should be in "P".

well after trying all combinations I come to conclude that it does not matter if a station is labelled in between 2 holes, everything works as it should
    whether I moved one to the neighboring station or not. The brake switch was defective so that leaves just the turn signals which i now suspect a cheap replacement
    has been previously installed and may be defective...
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

thanks, all stations are very well identified on both sides of the connector and at the switch plus the factory manuals has it dead on except the 2 extra holes are not explained or accounted for.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbennett View Post
    I think the signal, brake and reverse lights are all on the same fuse. I think the ignition circuit ("15" red/black wire) is ok since it starts and runs. As for the rear lights on, I would check the location of the grey wire, think it should be in "P".
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128