Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are the top five things to remember to bring to the Parade Concours prep?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Concours: "Not only are we going to tell you how ugly you are in this beauty pageant, we're going to point out all of your warts, birthmarks, and scars. Oh, and we're going to do it with subjective judging. By the way, that car over there belongs to the CEO of our company. I have a feeling he's going to win his class again."

Pass.
    Frank, as to the first part,,,,that is what concours is all about, you make it as perfect as you can, then we have 5 minutes to find if you missed anything. Depending on how clean you want to make it will determine your placing, that's the game,,,if you choose to play it.

Now as to the second part, while I would never say that it hasn't been done, in my years of judging so far, I have found that the judges I've been involved with, and speaking for my self, the system is much more fair than some would prefer to believe, and I wish that those who are more expert than we present judges would step up to be judges and lead by example. I for one would always like to improve my game
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Banned
    Ed,

I appreciate a properly prepped Porsche as much as anyone but the German in me would rather see race results than concours trophies.
    Different strokes...

Frank I am not sure about letting you sit in my car to judge it after reading your description of that NOS sport seat of yours.

People are people. I've seen guys use the 13/13 rule as a substitute for horsepower and witnessed fistfights in the paddock at Lime Rock. But that never stopped me from taking my place on the grid. Concours, same spirit. Give it your best effort and treat it as an opportunity to learn from some of the best in our community, both before, during and after the event.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    I didn't realize the bike I was riding was parked in an area where vintage bikes were being judged. Came back from the infield to find a trophy sitting by it. Funny...
    Now Tom there must be more to that story did the bike look like this?

Banned
    So that's not part of the score? How the different parts of the car smell?

I get it. I'm not anti concours.
    Philosophical question: Why aren't the Europeans as obsessed as Yanks when it comes to "concours"?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    So that's not part of the score? How the different parts of the car smell?

I get it. I'm not anti concours.
    Philosophical question: Why aren't the Europeans as obsessed as Yanks when it comes to "concours"?
    That's an excellent question,,,,for which I have no answer??? Do we have more OCD people here? I'm sure concour here has evolved over the years, I doubt the level of preparation was the same at the first Parade as at the last one. Every year the bar gets raised slightly, just like racing, the level of preparation of my 356 in SCCA in 1974 is nowhere near what it would take in the present day. What happened????why couldn't it all stay at the same level???,,,,who's the numbskull that kept raising the bar and making racing more and more expensive, and time consuming in preparation???? I want names !!! I've never been to a concours in Europe, but the cars at Essen sure look spiffy in the pictures, would love to see some of them up close and personal just to see how they do compare! Judging by by how date code sensitive some European buyers of parts from here seem to be I'd say there's a little OCD going on across the pond also! Judging by the level of detail in some of the restoration pictures we see from 'over there' I'd say they're getting obsessed!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

All of the cars at the Parade Concours are just wonderful. Every car has a story, The owners have spent countless hours prepping them and are proud of their cars. Details and history count. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. And, their will always be issues, some politics, and differing opinions.

To me, the best part of the Parade Concours and Concours Prep are all the different people--the participants, the judges, the volunteers, the spectators, the VIPs, and even the characters.

This year, I am looking forward to meeting some of the people on The Registry,
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Now Tom there must be more to that story did the bike look like this?

Oh sure. I keep a couple of Kompressors and an RS54
    in the shed.
    I'll find a photo for you. It was one I should have kept.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

John
    Well, how did it go?
    ds