Thread: Rebuild or replace front shocks on 65

Rebuild or replace front shocks on 65

I think my front right shock is not performing properly as evidenced by wheel hop while driving and the old push-down-on-the-wing trick. I've been reading other threads here that the early non-adjustable front shocks do not have inserts and thus need to be rebuilt. Is this true and if so where are rebuild parts available? Is this a shade tree mechanic sized job or are special tools and specialized experience needed for such a job?

Comments and advice are all welcome.
    Alex in Virginia

Looking for:
    ward to driving my car!

Early 911S Registry # 2863

Original fitment was that the strut was filled with oil and the piston mechanism was open to the oil when installed. Replacements are sealed units and installed into the strut dry and have their own captive oil supply, actually that isn't entirely correct as a small amount of oil should be put in the strut to aid in heat transfer to the strut surface. I suggest Jason Burkett at Paragon Products as an excellent source.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The only special tool you need is a pin wrench to properly torque the gland nut to the body of the strut. Once you decide which inserts, you can pick a pin wrench. I have Koni inserts, I used a pin wrench for a Toyota timing belt to apply proper torque. If you look at used struts you see vertical lines in the nut where somebody used a pipe wrench (!)
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Similar Threads

1. KONI shocks. Rebuild or get new one's?
    By preS in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 03:30 PM
  3. WTB Front suspension to replace collapsed 911E
    By rst73 in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 02:00 AM
  4. Rebuild or replace electric window lift
    By RickS in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 3