Thread: Hooking up an aftermarket horn and steering wheel

Hooking up an aftermarket horn and steering wheel

I bought this set up on eBay. Now I'm wondering if I'm missing a piece or something? How the heck do I attach the wire to the contact pin? Or don't I? Thanks in advance,

Last edited by luke-44; 05-22-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Hello Bruce, I had the exact same steering wheel on my 66 when I bought it (Le Carra), still have it in my garage. The male bullet should connect to the copper piece at the wheel's 12 o'clock position. I will post a photo later tonight showing my wheel. Too busy right now.
    Alex in Virginia

Looking for:
    ward to driving my car!

Early 911S Registry # 2863

Quote Originally Posted by VA_alfa View Post
    Hello Bruce, I had the exact same steering wheel on my 66 when I bought it (Le Carra), still have it in my garage. The male bullet should connect to the copper piece at the wheel's 12 o'clock position. I will post a photo later tonight showing my wheel. Too busy right now.
    Yup, that's the wheel.

So I guess I need some sort of a special wire-end connector? Surely not something like this?

Last edited by luke-44; 05-22-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Here's what I have. In order for the horn to work, the horn button wire will hook up to the copper thingy that passes through the hub and makes contact with the ring on the steering column. Sorry for the techno-speak like copper thingy.

PS: the copper thingy is located at the 9:00 position adjacent to the cancel ring when looking at the horn button.

Let me know if you need anything else.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Alex in Virginia

Looking for:
    ward to driving my car!

What I would like to see is how the black wire attaches to the switch - it's behind the red wire crimped end joiner in the photo

The black wire goes into the plastic tube and attaches to the copper thingy inside. I cannot remove the plastic tube. The copper thingy is spring loaded to extend outward and firmly contact the steering column. How the black wire attaches and the spring are all internal to the "plastic tube". Looks like yours is broken off or damaged in some way and the copper thingy is extended into the horn button chamber for some reason. When I push the copper thingy in to the wheel from the steering column side, the black wire moves with the copper thingy.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Alex in Virginia

Looking for:
    ward to driving my car!

It helps a lot.

Actually mine switch is brand new. But I think I see now how it is done - the switch needs to be carefully modified inside. I have taken a photo side by side against the old one, which I took apart. You can see the internals with the spring on the left and the new switch on the right which is designed for the stock wheel. The spring loaded switch keeps contact between the round circular live horn contact point and the switch. When you push the horn, it grounds the circuit and causes the horn to beep.

So the trick as I see it is going to be to keep the spring tension on the switch and hook a black wire through the short-pin-end to the internal short wire. The short-pin-end is hollow, but needs to be left in place, as the collar is what the spring rests against. So, I will take a dremel to the short end and cut just before the collar, solder the wire and reassemble the switch. Then connect the black wire to the horn button and see what happens.

Last edited by luke-44; 05-23-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Ok, one problem down - home made modified switch, now one new one to go....

And now the next problem....
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...steering-wheel

Finally...finally got my LeCarra wheel on properly but not without a fight. For those who come later, the LeCarra hub does not fit! Trust me. I tried two of them. In the end I used a Momo hub and a LeCarra adapter. This hub was very frustrating. The splines are cut ever so slightly different than the Porsche hubs. Same number of splines, but ever so slightly different.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...steering-wheel.

And then there was this little glitch....
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ring-See-video

In the end it all worked out and looks pretty good, horn works, no steering wheel vibration. So, on to the next project!

Last edited by luke-44; 08-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Can you post where you got the LeCarra adapter?