Thread: Looking for Momo help, INFO

Looking for Momo help, INFO

Hello, I have a Prototipo in my 67 912 SWT not the ideal wheel for that car thinking to move it to the 67, more of a hot rod. I was looking for the date on the back side, so crawled into foot well with flash light and no date as I have seen. Usually a 2 digit. What I did find looks like a model #?
    M 20340, the wheel has some offset measures about 368mm (14.5") diameter with a tape measure and is silver.

Can anyone tell me what it is and or a year? I have had the car about 8 yrs, the wheel is in a old photograph of the car that came with it when I bought it but no idea as to when that was.

Any information is appreciated.

Regards

Can you post some pictures of it ?
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

As Andy states... a photo would be nice. However, M 20340 with no date stamp would indicate a second generation prototipo from approximately 1974-early 1976. MOMO didn't begin date stamping until mid to late 1976. Or is it '77... I forgot.
    If you're interested in having a period correct prototipo for you car, it's certainly a worthy goal, but I wouldn't be too obsessive about it. (no comments from the peanut gallery please) . You can get lucky and find one for a great price but overall they're getting expensive and have been difficult to find for quite a while now.
    A nice, flat spoked second gen. proto is a good substitute.

If you DO want to find a period correct prototipo, any first gen. version will get the job done. First generation prototipos are characterized by the name 'prototipo' stamped or engraved on the front, where as with second gens the name is painted, (or silkscreened or however the heck they did it).
    First gen prototipos are dated 1966-73
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 05-24-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Not saying a thing!!!!!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Should have done this yesterday, was not sure if the number would be enough. It is not truly flat there is an offset at the hub then reverse at the spokes / leather interface.
    The era of the wheel may sort out what to do with it, I have a stock 67 wheel I have saved for this car as to me the wheel does not look correct in a mostly stock 67 SWT, I thought about a alternate for the 67 912 Coupe as mentioned earlier but it had the VDM wood that was original.
    After reading this maybe the 71 needs to loose it's stock wheel.

Any info appreciated.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images   

One thing's for sure, that horn button is very out of place in that car and you should send it to me!

Damn Bill, you beat me to it!

Beware of our resident Early 911 S vultures Jerry. That horn button is a very early, rare, large Porsche crest MOMO button. It's a keeper.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Thanks to all for the info, So in trying to date it the second gen was about 74 - 76 sounds like, now the large lusted after horn button refereed to as "very early".
    Can some put a date range on that? I have to assume that the wheel, mount & horn button were bought as a package at the same time based on the car's overall condition and almost no modifications and definitely not the constant tinkering / modifications some of us do now and the low documented mileage (Km) .

Any guess at a date? Would the large horn button pre date the second gen? If so by about how much? I guess it could have been old stock and went with the later second Gen wheel?

Again thanks for the help.

Regards