Thread: Machine shop service - For small one-off job to save a neat steering wheel

Machine shop service - For small one-off job to save a neat steering wheel

Can anyone on the board suggest a Porsche friendly restoration/repair/machine shop to clean up the splines on my LeCarra steering wheel? I bought it used on ebay and now I know why the price was so good.

3 or so splines were damaged on the end and it just won't go on. I tried to clean the splines up with an xx small triangular file but still no luck. It's ohhh so close but a light tap just ended up with me ruining the $20.00 steering column shaft bearing. The stock wheel slips right on, so I know I haven't damaged the shaft - yet. I'm afraid if I keep going I'll make it worse and possibly ruin the wheel or worse, the column. The shops around here are totally indifferent to such a small job. Plus it would be nice if a shop had an old column to check it on before shipping it back.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by luke-44; 05-23-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added restoration/repair

If you can get a steering column that is bent or otherwise unusable but has good splines, get it and bang it through the female splines as a broach. Use a BFH. The heavier the hammer the less chance you have of hitting your finger. You could also use a press but that's less fun. Just make sure you have the wheel on something with a hole just a bit larger than the splines.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Does anyone know if a '74 911 shaft would have the same splines?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-Porsche-9...118c96&vxp=mtr

I'm gonna take a shot with this. I had an old SC wheel lying around and it slides right onto the 65 shaft, so my sense is the size is pretty standard. I'll keep you posted when the shaft arrives. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by luke-44; 05-23-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added SC wheel info

I've tried those off brand hubs brought in by customers and after trying all the filing and sanding have generally considered them not worth the effort.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

splines are a hat-trick, most shops don't touch them or have the broaches/machines. If you do find a shop, it may be an axle place or something. I think Flieger's idea is your best shot...pre'74 and 74+ steering splines are different! Get a spare column piece to match your wheel (pre-73 I would imagine, if you want it to go in your car), lubricate it with some anti-seize to reduce galling, and use a BFH to straighten out your splines. That's what I would try
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Quote Originally Posted by YTNUKLR View Post
    ...pre'74 and 74+ steering splines are different!...
    Ah crap - right after I hit the Buy It Now on a post '74 shaft. Ed - I guess I just don't know enough about the steering wheels I should be looking for. This one has a nice appearance and came with the hub. I think otherwise it would have been a bolt on except for the damage to the splines.

Anybody have an old bent shaft laying around with decent splines? There is one on eBay right now but I hate to spend $90.00 on what essentially is an experiment.

PRE AND POST 73 STEERING SHAFTS HAVE THE SAME SPLINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 914s, also use the same spline. That is why there are so many "Carrera RS 380mm" wheels for sale. The splined shaft doesn't change until the 964 models.

Regards

Lt. Jim
    Steering Wheel Police

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I've tried those off brand hubs brought in by customers and after trying all the filing and sanding have generally considered them not worth the effort.
    I just went through this on an 85 backdate car. The hub had gone on too far and the circlip had damaged the snout of the hub which prevented it from going on and off smoothly. I ended up hammering an old steering shaft through the backside of the hub a dozen times to clean the splines but, in the end, it was still crappy.

A new hub was the solution in my case...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687