Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition wires

Ignition wires

My 1968 911 has an MSD 6 series ignition installed with the matching MSD coil. However, it has the standard ignition/plug wires. These seem to be single strand.

Do I need to get a spiral wound set such as Magnecor? Pity they are red. Is there an alternative way to do this? From what I understand the coil would need to be re-located on the fan housing again with the Magnacor set (not a problem really)?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...30%38%30%22%3E
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

I'm running the identical MSD setup on my 68 with the Magnacor 8.5 mm red wires. You don't have to relocate your coil. When you call them request they make you up the coil wire to reach your control panel (know the measured length that you want)...They will do at no extra charge...248 471-9506... mag@magnecor.com
    He will initially quote you a higher price than Pelican, but if you mention Pelican's price he will match it. Hope this helps.

For street (non-concours) I use and recommend Clewett's wires, they come in black and the boots and connectors are first-rate, and not expensive. Make sure you tell Richard you need the longer coil wire for SWB to reach the coil over on the electrical console.

Plug wires are mostly snake oil, the admonition about single strand vs. multi-strand is an EMF/RFI concern.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks guys - great advice and information. That's why this Forum is so valuable. I also found that Magnecor now have an Australian agent (http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm ). He says that he can make them up and send them to me tomorrow! Great price as well. Black cable+7mm, Red=8.5, etc.

He agrees that the black Magencor system is fine for my engine.
    Last edited by Merv; 05-26-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post

Plug wires are mostly snake oil, the admonition about single strand vs. multi-strand is an EMF/RFI concern.
    So what exactly are the problems caused by using solid-core plug wires with MSD ?
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

From what I have read solid core wires are more vulnerable to voltage spikes and electrical emissions, especially when old. These reportedly can damage or reduce the effectiveness of MSD systems. I figure if you spend the money on a good MSD system, get the wires too. I have also been told that the thicker wires are pretty much the same as the thinner ones internally (e.g, 7mm) and just have more insulation. There is some 'snake oil' perhaps.

http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3302

MSD IGNITION • www.msdignition.com
    NOTE: Solid Core spark plug wires cannot be used with any MSD Ignition controls
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Anything you read about fancy wires is BS. Period. There are basically two types of wires. Copper core and resistor core. The copper core wires are stranded for flexibility. These are the stock wires. The resistor core wires are actually thread impregnated with carbon. Use the stock copper core wires, or use the silicone jacketed wires for pretty. If you are worried about electrical noise, use resistor plugs, resistor plug connectors, and resistor rotor. You can also use the shielded (braid covered) plug wires like the factory did on the SC's. Shielding the wires will help reduce noise in the radio. But first check that you actually experience noise in the radio before spending the money.

My job is data communications over copper cables. I study copper cable characteristics every day. I have 30 years experience at this. Most claims related to any kind of exotic wire are absolutely total BS. Especially from Monster Cable.

SV

That is what I thought ...

I am running with (new) solid-core plug wires on my 2.5 litre twin-plug engine fitted with twin MSD 6AL ignition boxes & it runs fine with no hint of any misfires, etc.

I thought that MSD's stipulation to use spiral-wound (non solid core) leads was to minimise interference with other electronic equipment (radios, TV's, computers, etc) rather than to the detriment of the MSD boxes.

I don't have a radio (or iPod, etc) in my car - I wouldn't be able to hear it even if I did.
    Last edited by andyjboy; 05-27-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Some variance on views on this to say the least. I will check with our electrical engineering guys today on all this.

I do know that the 7mm spiral wound leads I have ordered should be better than my ancient leads. Nothing lasts forever. The radio might even benefit as well ...

Seems the same discussion on PPF http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...wires-msd.html

My received advice is to change them to the more modern variation. I have.
    Last edited by Merv; 05-28-2013 at 03:18 AM.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars: