Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft window install

Soft window install

Has anyone documented an install? I am getting very close to being ready. Factory manual and diagrams are weak. I believe I have all my gaskets and seals and am finishing the targa bar lower stud repair, and installing the vinyl on the forward underside edge of the hoop. I have specific questions, and as the seals and gaskets are a bit on the expensive side...I don't want to ruin anything. Anybody?
    TIA
    Speedo
    registry# 1283

I don't quite follow what you're trying to do. The soft window install is cake; Position the window, latches undone. 2 bolts, with specific spacers, inside the Targa bar for the top hoop. 3 bolts, under the rear cowl, for the bottom hoop. Then a little grunt to get the stab latches to engage, and you got it - aside from maybe a tension adjustment. The gasket that goes on the back of the targa bar to seal the window is pretty obvious in it's profile; only problem is that they get baconized after awhile, and you're left with a choice - a new one at $350, or couple of slits, or a stiffener on the back to help it lay straight.
    The biggest headache I had was the targa bar liner - it has stabs that engage slots in the targa bar, and it's difficult to get them all engaged. If yours is still original, you'll create a lot of horsehair dust.
    PM or Email me if you need pictures or help.

soft window install...better title is hard to soft conversion

I am turning a hard window into a softie. Please don't tell me what a difficult path this will be as I am way past that. Have all the hardware (bows and latches), and gaskets...looking for procedures. Not just as easy as replacing a soft window. Things like how to deal with the rear shelf covering and trim...side panels etc. U channel to protect the soft top from the rear seam etc. The stuff I wouldn't think of...
    Links to a thread with pics would be great. I'm 3/4s of the way done...trimming stuff out.

Speedo
    registry# 1283

I see now - you're turning a 71 into a softie. Hopefully you can find the guy who's been there, done that, and got the T shirt. I have a very original '67, and a '68 that's apart if you need pics of something; also have 2 '68 hardwindows for comparison.
    Last I checked Mattman1955 on Ebay had a rear parcel, quarter interior panels, and the crescent shaped panel that goes right below the soft window in the interior; let me know if you need his email.
    I assume that your 71 has the latch mounts inside the targa bar, and the proper mounts on the body for bolting down the soft window.
    Have you worked out the inside targa bar cover? Are you trying to do it with the old-style interior lights?

My 71 (and in fact all targas going out to 1988 I believe) have/has the rear of the targa bar stamped for the latches. I have created the three attach points for the rear bow. I planned on re-using the rear inside targa bar cover (is there a reason not to?) and incorporate the existing dome light. I would like to see a pic of the crescent shape trim for the rear shelf as the hard window trim doesn't look like it will work. My understanding is that 69 US cars had the rear seat delete as they were considered convertibles by the DOT. I am ambivalent about the rear seats...have them, but could just as easily delete them. Some random questions I have...
    1) rear of the targa bar where the latches attach...car interior color (black) or body color?
    2) Inside targa bar cover...difference between hard and soft window covers?
    3) Better to install the soft window first, or rear targa bar rubber gasket first?
    4) Will early targa seats clear 3 pt seat belt (1972) regulator covers when folded down..aka just delete the seats?
    Just a few of the questions I face as I wrap up the interior on this beast...

TIA

Speedo
    Last edited by speedo; 05-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    registry# 1283

Sent you the info for the rear panels by PM
    Did you get your SWT stuff from Yves in Canada? He might have some knowledge of this process. freezing914@aol.com

I'll go look at our hard window cars, but I think the only difference in the Targa bar cover is the cutouts for the latches - and of course, the dome light positions; one on each side of the bar about 8 inches up. Your later one is an overhead single, right?
    Inside of Targa bar is black.
    I think you'll want to install the soft window, then the rubber seal.
    Dunno about the belts.
    It was actually the '68's that had the rear seat delete; generally, if the car was made after Jan'68, and was a soft window, it had rear seat delete. The hardwindow, which became optional right about or just after that time, had a rear seat. This is usually, but not always true.
    Did you check out Eric' s rear seat delete replica? It's cheap, perfect, and better than the originals.
    I'll check on the hoop bolting order.

Thanks for weighing in.
    I emailed jr regarding the rear shelf parts, and also Eric regarding the seat delete. I need to be careful about the delete as I have 72-73 3 pt belt retractors and the covers stick out a bit.
    I did not order from Yves. I stumbled onto the handles, made my own bows and hardware and sourced the targa window and gaskets/seals. And Friday I found some lower targa bar trim by accident....phew! I was due...

Speedo
    registry# 1283

cool - that's like winning the lottery.
    You can also contact Matt and JR at retroautomotiveproducts.com about the interior trim.

Talked to Matt, and he thinks the two trim differences between the SWT and HWT are the rear crescent that trims the vinyl to the shelf, and the side rail garnishes. I was curious and figured the rear trim to be different, but never thought about the side rails. Wisdom here?
    registry# 1283

I'll try to compare '68 SWT to '68 hardwindow later today.