Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTB: Bilstein Jack 71

WTB: Bilstein Jack 71

Looking for a good Jack and handle that will correspond to a 71 911 T

I have two jacks with my 72 911T. Honestly, I am not sure which is original to the car, and which I picked up a few years ago as an extra. The designs differ, though both are Bilstein jacks. See side-by-side photo, below.

Maybe the Registry can shed some light on which is which, and then maybe I'll have the part you need. I don't have the handle (the lug wrench). But if you have your lug wrench, I may have a jack.

Bilstein jacks.jpg

Im not positive, but the jack on the left appears to be 356, "type d" and the one on the right appears correct for 71-72 911's.
    Last edited by WES914; 05-30-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WES914 View Post
    the one on the right appears correct for 70-72 911's.
    This.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I Hope a Master Guru can help us with this but I actually think its the one in the left, the one that has the angle shaft.
    Have you think of a price?

For information only. the jack pictured came with my 71, T Targa, one owner car. I have no idea as to correctness. I do have jacks similar to both pictured earlier with a couple earlier cars (late 65 & 67)
    What I have I have "assumed" to be what I have seen as the Bilstein wood handle jack.
    When was it introduced or was it optional? to me much safer with the threaded lead screw.
    Is it not correct for 71?

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

my understanding is that the unit on the left is correct for "late" 356 (T-6 ?) & "early" 900... at least SWB. the only difference is the base for a 356 application would be painted blue, while the 900 would be black. interested to know the application of the unit on the right as I've only seen them with 914-6 & VWs of the era.

This thread has gotten me digging around for info on jacks. After consulting a bunch of old threads about jacks, there is lots of piecemeal information floating around. It may be the case that there is not one right answer. One thread reports that tool/kits jacks did not convey with each car individually, but were supplied through the dealer separately. As a result, the thread commented that dealers sometime took license and some mixing/matching took place.

My 1972 USA Owner's Manual (p. 67) shows photos that match the jack on the right of my picture (straight shaft). So the jack on the right appears to be my original jack, and that's consistent with my recollection of what came with the car when I bought it. My 72T is 9112102020, built in early 1972.

Bilstein jacks.jpg

1972 911T USA Owner's Manual p. 67.jpg

The jack on the left, I was told came from a 71E (unverified). But my search turned up a photo of the toolkit from another 72T (9112102334, built 05/72) with a jack matching the one on the left of my picture (angled shaft) (unverified if this is original). Other searches indicate that the angled-shaft jacks were used on the 356, and up through the 1971 911. They were called "D jacks." Earlier angled-shaft jacks (and all 356 and 901 jacks) had their foot painted blue, and this changed to a black foot around late 1966 or 1967. So any 1966-1971 911 could have had a black foot angled-shaft Bilstein jack.

1972 911T 9112102334 tool kit and jack.jpg

Finally, the 911 & 912 "Restorer's Guide to Authenticity" by Dr. B. Johnson, p. 44, pictures a 1969 - 1970 toolkit with a screw-type jack. I have no info on the correct applications for this type of jack.

So in summary, it appears that both angled (also single link) and straight (double link) Bilstein jacks may be correct for 1971 and 1972 model years. A transition from angled to straight may have taken place gradually between these years. Maybe there is a jack guru out there who can confirm or deny any of this?

the jack on the right (in post #2) is the correct jack for a 71. The one on the left would be appropriate for a 69 and earlier 911/912. the grey jack in post #6 is some bizarre thing probably used to fix a flat on a Pinzgauer. You can not use pictures in any owners manual as a guide to what is correct and what is not. Porsche recycles old pictures for many years in owner's manuals so they have zero credibility! Well, maybe a bit more than me.

Ciao

Jim
    PS: The picture in the owners manual is actually the correct jack for a 71.
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 05-31-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks Jim. Would the jack on the right also be correct for a 72?