Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine block work / Case Welding

Engine block work / Case Welding

I've been chasing an oil leak on my '71T with original engine for a few weeks and finally figured out I have a small crack in the engine case. My mechanic and I tried a few fixes with sealers, must notably JB Weld, with no luck sealing it up. At this point I'm looking at a rebuild to fix the issue I'm pretty sure but I'm not sure if I need a new case or if I can weld mine up. The crack is located just above the oil galley freeze plug located just behind the alternator and fan assembly. My questions are basically:

1. Can a crack in this location be welded up and fixed so I can keep my original case or is a new case my only fix?

2. If yes, does anybody have a suggestion for where to have a magnesium case welded in or near Virginia? If not I guess I could mail it to reputable shop farther away.

3. Before pulling the engine apart is there some other product that I might be able to use to seal the crack?

4. Lastly, if I need a new 3R case, what should I expect to pay for a case that is set up and ready to go with all the normal rebuild work done?

I know these are pretty broad questions but I've got little frame of reference for sorting the problem. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Stretch

Stretch, sorry to hear of this.

No externally applied product will help. At trying times like these it is helpful to recall the Iron Law of Plumbing, which states: "No leak can ever be fixed where it appears, it must be fixed at the source."

Since you have to pull the motor apart anyway to weld it, you might as well keep your original case.

Send it to Ollies in Lake Havasu. They have a shielding box to weld mag and they do this frequently enough to be experts at it. While it's there they can do the other tricks like squirters if your case doesn't have them (71 was the cutoff) and the oil bypass mod, etc.

3R cases are not super expensive, I would say around $500 for the basic case, but the machine work will cost you another $1000 plus shipping.

Here is Ollies web site, they publish a price list that can help you with these questions.

http://www.olliesmachine.com/

Good luck!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks for the input on this. The oil leak in question is in the YouTube link below.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OViwbtekhMM

I assume this is repairable via welding. Any thoughts before bothering Ollie's? Thanks again,

Stretch

That is a leak all right. Makes you wonder if the engine was rebuilt before and the R&R of the gallery plug made it crack there.

In any event, if it were my engine I would not try to fix it with epoxy or sealant-- the plug has to come out to get to the backside there, and I just wouldn't trust that you could get the area clean enough to have it adhere without the risk of it breaking off and stroking the motor out.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Yes the engine was rebuilt back in the late '90's according to the original owner from whom I bought the car. It looks like the gallery plug is either too big or was installed incorrectly when the engine was rebuilt back then causing the crack. I've got JB weld on there now and it didn't fix it as mentioned. Before shipping it out I'll clean it off so the crack is accessible for welding. I'm hoping the case has had some of the mods already done to it like time certs and,if not originally equipped, oil squirters. I'll find out when I start pulling it apart I guess. Hopefully this is an easily repaired problem for the guys at Ollie's and I can keep my original case. Thanks again,

Stretch

Reviving this thread for a minute for some amplifying info. Are there any shops on the east coast that can do engine case welding? I know Ollie's can out west but it would be alot cheaper shipping wise to keep it close to home or even walk it into a shop. I'm located in Virginia Beach, VA specifically so if anybody knows a shop that can handle the above crack that needs to be welded please let me know. Thanks in advance,

Stretch

Make sure whoever you talk with can weld magnesium.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Welding magnesium .... wow that's for the big boys. Coincidentally I just heard about Lock n Stick. Check this out
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

member #1515
    It's worth the cost of shipping to get it into the right hands. Most of the guys who offer these specialized services for our cars are in California. Maybe because Porsche used to sell 50% of the US cars into California.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I would send it to Oliies shipping wont be that bad (remove the studs), when this is over shipping will not even register to the rebuild cost. They will do it right and as mentioned while it is there do the piston squirters and oil bypass.
    I have to assume this is the same Ollies that was in Santa Anna, and now relocated to Lake Havasu, used them a few times when on the left coast for crank and case work, always first class.

Regards