Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Siren song for me

I happened to walk by Cars Dawydiak in San Francisco this morning and they had a really nice looking 72 T silver coupe. I don't know the asking price but they have a website. Speak with Sam Cameron.

If anyone is interested I will be happy to look at the car.

Keep looking, there is always much more rust than you think, and ask yourself why was it not run in 9 years.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    Keep looking, there is always much more rust than you think, and ask yourself why was it not run in 9 years.
    50% more in hiding wouldn't be a stretch.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by TeeItUp View Post
    . . . happened to walk by Cars Dawydiak in San Francisco this morning and they had a really nice looking 72 T silver coupe . . .
    VIN = 9112102009
    Eng# = 6120001
    Trans# = 327101

Seller's schtick . . .

. . . Silver Metallic over Black Leatherette, 2 owners, original CA blue plates, Factory A/C & Sunroof, Sport seats, Option group E65, US equipment, Light metal wheels, trim strips on rims, comfort equipment, Tinted glass, Dunlop tires, dealer installed replacement motor 8-31-73 @ 5775 miles dosumented in owners book, partial service stamp history, motor # 6120001, original motor #6123126, trans #327101, spare tire and jack but no tools, rust free, CoA, very nice paint, interior, wheels professionally refinished . . .

http://www.carsauto.com/1972-porsche-911-t-c-858.htm?

Damage = $69.9k

'. . . make an offer . . .'

(Not mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-21-2015 at 08:30 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Hate to beat this issue to death but as someone who has not had a chance to drive very many examples of early cars and is still searching for one (or possibly custom building one) I am still trying to understand if MFI vs carb is a real deal breaker for someone in the market for an early car.

Am I right with the following statements:

1. Carbs when done right are very good also. Could I still have a 80 % feel of an early car for a lower price of admission (compared to MFI car).
    2. More mechanics are comfortable with tuning/maintaining carbs
    3. Carbs have some foibles but that is part of their nostalgia.

Sincerely

w00t

Carbs vs MFI . . .

I'm one of those old school/Hard Korps/hairshirt types who likes old cars --- exactly because they're OLD, so . . . take my comments w/ that perspective in mind

If you're looking for something that you can drive around/use/fiddle with/etc, that most Mechanics are comfortable/familiar with, and that's easy/cheap to tune/live with? . . . . get carbs. Life will be easier for you. End-of-Story

But --- to me? . . . . MFI is such a signature bit of The Early 911 experience --- whether it's a T, E, or S . . . . and --- once you find The Right People who know/understand/can set-up + maintain the system? . . . . there are no issues

Yes --- it can be expensive to source/repair/set-up
    Yes --- it's a kooky/old-fashioned/really amazingly inefficient way to get the job done
    Yes --- carbs can be made to work as well/better

But . . . I didn't get my car because it was 'easy' to use . . . or 'cheap' to live with . . . or to make my Mechanic 'happy'

I got my car because it's a Porsche . . . and it's MFI system is something different/special . . . and that makes ME happy

My advice to anyone looking at these cars would be to ask yourself what you really REALLY want/expect outta these cars --- and why you're here . . . then? . . . .

. . . buy the car you like, at a price you can afford

And enjoy your choices

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE View Post
    Hate to beat this issue to death but as someone who has not had a chance to drive very many examples of early cars and is still searching for one (or possibly custom building one) I am still trying to understand if MFI vs carb is a real deal breaker for someone in the market for an early car.
    There are a bunch of experts on this forum. I am emphatically NOT one of them...
    I can only speak of the cars I've owned: one carbed, a CIS 73.5 T and now an MFI (72). Sadly not at the same time so I rely on memory...
    Well.... I don't get what the big deal is... (The current car finally runs great, so please nobody tells me to go tune my MFI pump again ;-)
    To me they they're all pretty cool to drive once tuned properly, and pretty crappy when not tuned well... and the MFI does not feel all that superior in throttle response, it just starts better than carbs and not as well as CIS, it seems ;-) I confess the one that ran the best under ALL conditions, and that enjoyed the most because I never messed with it, was actually the CIS! That kinda goes against the grain, so go figure...

Don't pigeonhole yourself to a specific model/year, which you will *not* find for sale when you are looking!!! Buy a nice car based on condition, enjoy what you get, and start telling the world that year is THE best one ever made, like we all do ;-)

Another thing that you may want to think about is gearboxes... Some swear by the dogleg 901s. Personally, I own other cars and switching to the dogleg drives me crazy, I hate having to occasionally look to see which gear I'm in. So to me, a 72-73 MFI with the 915 (modern pattern) is great. A 73.5 is also pretty cool, once those Depardieu bumperettes accidentally fall off ;-) Good luck !

P:S Price wise, I think you should be able to find somethign real nice under 50K. Under 40, even.... I have about 45 into my 72 and that's AFTER full engine/running gear/repaint.... Also think about short wheel base vs long... All of that to me is more of a differentiator than the fuel delivery system...
    Last edited by Greg D.; 07-11-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002