Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Racing Car For Me

A Racing Car For Me

So here's a specific thread on my new racecar-to-be...

If I've learnt anything about Porsches, it's to keep my mouth shut. Just a whisper of a "barn" car gets every one tittering and jostling, and we know how quick a certain racer around here is off the mark

Last year I was put onto two '68 911s. The seller had bought a Euro S Targa (soft window) in poor condition with an even poorer RHD conversion AND forward dated to a G series body with lengthened wheelbase; the seller then bought a US 911L Coupe as a parts car to restore the S. Fast forward a few years and he hadn't really got around to doing anything with them. I visited, had a look, checked and verified numbers. And then walked away as I was (am) over restoring cars right now...

After Rennsport last month and watching the racers here having a great time (except for AB's off) it was clear to me that I probably needed to grab those cars and sit. My wonderful wife agreed to let me take some money off the house loan (I know, I know). Purchase was contingent on me taking both cars and a collection of associated bits and pieces. A price was agreed upon and now I have to find space for another two 911s This is not going to be easy in an inner suburban home. I spent most of today cleaning out the underside of my abode to make some room.

The coupe as it turns out is simply too nice to part - it's complete and numbers matching, so the intention is to clean it up and take it Historic Racing in Group Sb, and I have named her Grun Hilda. As per the advice received, I won't be doing anything too cosmetic on Hilda - she's certainly good enough to just leave. A cage is the first job and then I'll trim it (I've got a lot of textiles left over from the blue car).

The S Targa, well not sure yet. The engine is a real '68 S engine, but from a coupe and not the Targa's original engine - so it'll surely make its way into the coupe. There is also lots of missing '68 only parts - it's a long term challenge, and I've always wanted a Targa for the weekend... However it is likely to sit for a very long time at this stage.

So this thread will document what I suspect will be a slow build into a Group Sb Historic racer... But here it'll sit in case anyone following want's to track my adventures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

You got an engine for Grun Hilda? What's mechanical bits still missing?

There's engines and gearboxes for the cars. The coupe is 'complete' - just in boxes. The Targa is where the work is.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

what a good long-term find, well done !
    You never need to be bored again !
    Clearly a soft-window S targa is a super investment ... in return for the years it'll take to do !
    just leave yourself enough time to drive the blue one !

ps you can now change your 'signature' ... !!!!
    pps didn't you sell the jig/bench you made ...
    Last edited by pgxif; 06-05-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Hey Paul

Time will indeed tell! In reality space is my biggest enemy and although my wife is very good, she will draw the line if the house begins to look like a wrecking yard... I have not yet recovered all the bits and pieces from the seller as his space was at a premium and he's stashed bit's and bobs between his home and business. When I do a full stocktake of what I've actually bought I'll be able to say for sure what my plan is... It may well be that I have to sell the targa for the sake of room though.

I have kept ownership the Octisserie I built, but it is being shared around...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

i can't tell from the pictures, but, maybe you could get a simple 'double stack' worked out ... top wouldn't have to move (for some years ) ... !!. You might just manage it ...

phphcrSFEPM.jpg

(not sure whose this is... potentially John A ... apologies i'm not crediting correctly .. )
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Well Hilda is home as of today...

I spent all week cleaning up under the house/workshop to make room for two more cars. I'll retrieve the targa next week. My little bloke, Noah, has immediately assumed the rights of an owner and taken control of the "greenie".

So far I seemed to have done well, the coupe has already had all rust cut from it an received a 6/10 paint job in Signal Green - perfect for a race car. The true irony to this is that I finally cleaned up the paint plate... 6803 OSSI BLUE! But Signal Green it will stay

I have two engines; one S and one T. Two gearboxes; one with LSD. Nothing is "matching", so despite the Targa being an S the engine can go into the coupe along with the LSD equipped g/box. The down side is I only have 14" fuchs, and a mix of deep and flat sixes on the targa. So some wheel wrangling is going to be in order.

To be honest, the more I move into these projects the more I think I have to let the targa go. After 4 years and 4000 hours into my blue car, I'm under no illusions about how much more time will go into the green car. I am "restoration" fatigued, but the coupe merely needs reassembly (along with cage and some other bits and bobs) and shaking down for track work. But who am I kidding - there is years in this

Will I find time for the targa? Maybe if the wife gets the divorce she's promised me if I spend too much more time with my cars

Anyway, here's some shots from today...

P6167682.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

So I pulled the gearboxes down to assess them and the Nadella driveshafts.

BOTH boxes turned out to have the pretty rare SWB ZF LSD - this is the same unit as used in the 904. This is entirely unexpected as there are no external numbers or indicators (other than one having drive flanges that turn in the same direction rather than opposite). Now I need to strip the boxes and count teeth on the odd hope that there are more nuggests of gold in them... maybe a 904 input shaft and airport gears

Turns out the Targa had real RS flares grafted to it also
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

John, I have a buyer for the spare 901 box if you are selling one!
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Webster View Post
    John, I have a buyer for the spare 901 box if you are selling one!
    Hi Alex

Yeah a few people have popped up interested in one of the boxes I'm just not sure what I'm going to do at this time; I make no secret that I'm cherry picking the stash to put together the best parts for the race car. Once I've 'audited' everything and mapped a plan I'll be better able to say what I'm keeping and what I'm happy to pass on. My good friends here will be first to know
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga