Thread: 68 vs. 69-73 front body differences other than battery boxes

68 vs. 69-73 front body differences other than battery boxes

Restating the question, what are the areas on the front chassis of a 68 car forward of the shock towers, especially where the battery boxes would be on a 69 (and/or other adjacent areas), that are clearly different between 68 and 69-73 cars? I understand the nose and "slam" panel area is the same on 68 and 69 cars - what about the other areas?

I ask because I have access to the following ingredients for possible combination to right a past wrong:

A LWB long hood tub needing a new front clip to be made right again (car was "updated" using an 80's front clip that starts just forward of the shock towers)
    A 1968 front clip encompassing the same area
    A pair of battery boxes cut from some other 69-73 donor car

Perusing available pics online indicates there may be some other structural differences between 68 and 69-73. For example, the ground points won't be the same, but these could be welded back in when doing the battery boxes. Thoughts?

Fuse box mount
    Bumper mounts
    Receiver for fender support tube

Done correctly, the repaired section can be as perfectly fine-- as long as you do it on a celette to make sure everything lines up. I would not do what you are suggesting- if you are planning on spending after-tax dollars to make the LWB car into something valuable, it would make sense to find a front clip from the same year LWB, not just 69-73-- they are out there.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

save the 68 clip for swb repair, use a 69+ to fix the LWB. enough of a difference that a more economical repair of the right parts will be realized. Can you do it ? yes. Will it be worth it , no.

I appreciate the opinions. I'd contest the point that early front clips are readily available. It's a different topic, but from what I am seeing, everything (drivers, rollers, complete rusted out junk) is leaving the country or otherwise disappearing fast into collections and hoards. There are several despicable figures out there aggressively buying up everything they can find and exporting it. This is extending to mid-years at this point.

Still trying to find pics of any specific structural differences. Key question to me remains whether there are differences in the basic chassis architecture from 68 to 69. If the real differences are all weld-in sections like the battery boxes and ground bolts, or weld-on items, I am confident a top notch body man will set it right using a 68 clip. Given that the tub will be just a rough driver, is currently destined for the crusher, and will never be original after the 80s clip situation, I am OK with that.

If there are fundamental chassis differences, then I would agree that a same-year clip will have to be the way to go. That is the key question to me.

RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

I had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of the 68 front clip and a LWB car. It appears that an oval shaped outward embossing runs up and down on the 68 where the battery box would be. It extends a little above and below what would be the battery box area, I think. The 68 car also appears to have less of a flat shape at the bottoms of the front lateral areas - there is more outward contour. There are therefore some relatively subtle but non-trivial differences. Pondering the options...