Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canepa Cars & Coffee - June '13

Canepa Cars & Coffee - June '13

With the first heatwave of the year starting Saturday AM and not having been able to attend the first two Canepa C & C Saturdays in '13, I couldn't think of a better way to avoid the 100 degree temps in Walnut Creek and enjoy a great "car" morning at the same time than to escape to Canepa's near Santa Cruz, which, due to its proximity to the ocean rarely experiences the typical northern California temperature swings.

Sound decision ! It turned out to be a magnificent morning, great turnout, interesting visitors' cars in the parking lot, an outstanding selection of cars for sale, and a stunning array of projects in the shop.

The first set of five shots are of some of the cars the visitors drove, ranging from normal to eccentric to silly and to impressive.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 06-09-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

one particularly desirable machine was the slate gray, beautifully sorted and immaculate '83 Audi Ur-Quattro brought by a local Early S Reg. member.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

IMO, of the displayed Canepa "For Sale"cars, the one that would have been the most fun to drive home was this 2005 AMG Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM, one of only 100 such models built for the street and released for sale, of which only 5 came to this country. Lightened throughout, with many carbon-fiber parts and seats. The 5.4 liter supercharged V8 with stiffened crankcase, cams and a wild sounding exhaust produces 625 HP with 590 lb-ft of torque, 86% of which is available from 2000 rpm, all through a 5-speed "manu-matic" paddle-shift transmission and a multi-plate limited-slip differential with redesigned rear hub carriers and strengthened rear axle shafts. The factory claimed a 3.0 seconds 0 - 100 kph time. With it's all metal-to-metal jointed suspension bushings, 19" front wheels with 225/35 tires and 20" rears with 285/30 rubber the car is capable of 1.35 g lateral acceleration. Stopping power is provided by 14.2" front and 13.0" discs, each equipped with a six-pot caliper...........incredible !!
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 06-09-2013 at 12:28 PM.

In the showroom, more neat offerings, including a flawlessly re-freshed '79 Turbo, an immaculate 991 Carrera Cup car, a wonderful selection of 356s in both, coupe and cloth-top models as well as other jewels.

My personal favorite part of any Canepa tour is always the glittering array of treasure that's in the shop for service, refreshing, or ground-up total restoration.

There is also a very special car being restored to Smithsonian Nat'l Museum standards for display at this summer's Pebble Beach Concours, but I thought that subject should be covered separately in the "Other Cars" forum.

Thanks for looking.....

JZG

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    . . . one particularly desirable machine was the slate gray, beautifully sorted and immaculate '83 Audi Ur-Quattro brought by a local Early S Reg. member . . .
    That looks more like a Sport Quattro, John --- shortened wheel-base

Can't see the plates, but I would LOVE to hear The Story on bringing this Little Beastie over stateside

We Can Be Heroes

Hi John, This is my Audi Sport track car, I built the car out of a long wheel base 1983 Audi ur-, some 13 inch's removed, with carbon Kevlar body components, and newly built 5 cylendor 20 valve turbo motor.

Wonderful pictures, as always, John.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Great cars and great pics. Who owns the 993 Ruf? I saw the same car in a book this AM.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

sorry........don't know the owners identity, but I am glad to see that he treats it with less than the sacramental reverence some might feel it's entitled to, after all, it is only a car - albeit, a special and very elegant one. The color really flatters the model and brings out the best of the 993.