Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: four hole horn grills - original vs. repop...

four hole horn grills - original vs. repop...

Three questions for all the detail detectives on this board:

(1) are there any distinguishing features/marks on original four hole horn grills that are not present on repops?
    (2) if not, how can one tell them apart? and
    (3) are these ones (http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-1965...-/251277834751) a good buy at this price?

Thanks!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I do know that if these are similar to later versions that rechroming is not very successful at all
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Stephen

The four screw original horn grilles that I am familiar with are made from brass with a chrome finish. They weigh a pound or more each. The chrome gets foggy from road rash but they do not pit. Having them rechromed is very positive. The difficult part is the originals have deep machining and grinding marks into the corners - the rechroming surface prep blends (grinds/polishes) most of the imperfections out.

There are numbers #1, 2 3 and 4 on the back sides of these originals. The first three are equal in visible marks in the corners. #4 has had more finishing and the vertical sides have a slight roundness and the chrome appears it may have been better, or the sample I have may have had less miles... Putting them together it's hard to tell them apart.

(Not shown here) The second generation two screw grilles were cast from pot metal and pitted rapidly. Rechroming of the pot metal is not very successful.
    Filling all the pits is very difficult and If you miss any they stand out like face pimples on a first date. (And all the other pits that you didn't do on the underside reflect on the new surfaces- drat).

Our friend in Seattle has recreated the two screw type - they are like his other products - the best you can get - but he mentioned he didn't have any luck trying to get the four screw type made. The quality was not to his satisfaction.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

If you can hold off on the ebay pair,I can send pictures of a set that I have, that are better & less costly..Don't know off hand about the scripting that Bob has disclosed, so I`ll have to check that out too.....Cliff......no time now, I`m on my way to work soon....

I don't know about 4 screws, but when I had a number of 2 screw grilles, I noticed that the slats, where they ended on the outside, some ended abruptly, with a straight cut. Others seemed to be filed or rounded for a more flowing ending. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the great info, Bob and others... very helpful to understand all the details of these wonderful cars...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    There are numbers #1, 2 3 and 4 on the back sides of these originals. The first three are equal in visible marks in the corners. #4 has had more finishing and the vertical sides have a slight roundness and the chrome appears it may have been better, or the sample I have may have had less miles... Putting them together it's hard to tell them apart.
    The numbers 1,2,3 and 4 refer to the size. #4 is the largest.

On the picture #2 on top of #4

Just my $.02

Richard

Name:  IMG_0977.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  120.0 KB

That is a really good piece of information, Richard..
    thank you. (I'm making notes...)

I love saying it "the more we look - the more we see".
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

The key to rechroming two-screw grilles is to scour the globe for the nicest, most pristine set you can find, nice enough that you could polish them and use them. Then have those rechromed!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

The "Seattle Stuff" is better than new. As for re-chroming I didn't have any luck and did use PAUL'S CHROME PLATING. They are around here somewhere but are totally FUBAR. Don't know if the "The King of Trim" (a nick-name I would liked to have had in college) can do any better but it may be worth a try.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111