Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Porsche Insurance Help

Vintage Porsche Insurance Help

I've got a '71T in pretty good condition and its currently insured through Allstate. I know about all the discussions regarding agreed upon value and what you could expect in the event of an accident so I wanted to insure with a Collector Car Insurance Company to avoid this. My issues are these:

1. I drive my car alot although its not a daily driver. I do have a modern daily driver but I like taking my 911 to work or errands on nice days.

2. I'm in the military so the vehicle is kept in a different state than where it's registered. This is apparently a no go for Leland West after talking this morning. They appeared to be what I was looking for but won't insure because of this even though I meet all of the other criteria including garage.

With this, are the any suggestions for insurance companies that might work for me? I'd like to use the car but I want to insure it for a value that I know I'll get if totaled and not have to fight it out if I make a claim. Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Stretch

The second issue is the big one-- the insurer that writes the actual policy (Leland-West may be in fact a broker) has to be domiciled in the same state that the car is registered in and located in, or they run into licensing issues.

I am sure you have heard this but what about USAA? Do they offer a classic program?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    The second issue is the big one-- the insurer that writes the actual policy (Leland-West may be in fact a broker) has to be domiciled in the same state that the car is registered in and located in, or they run into licensing issues.

I am sure you have heard this but what about USAA? Do they offer a classic program?
    USAA uses American Collectors for classics.
    1996 993 black/tan

Allstate offers classic car insurance. You have to ask about it...

I use USAA for nearly everything however their classic car insurance doesn't allow commuting to work or errands. It's very restrictive and basically only allows driving on cruises or going to car shows. I can ask Allstate about their options since I wasn't aware they provided classic car insurance at all. The problem I run into is getting somebody to let me drive the car when and where I want and still be insured for what the car is worth.

Stretch

I've had good luck with Grundy out of Philly (me and the car are in va). I also just mOved one car over to firemans fund (collector car ins) and I think I'm getting a little better insurance for a tiny bit less.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    I have geico, and have it insured as a regular car. they assured me replacement value is based on current market value.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    I have geico, and have it insured as a regular car. they assured me replacement value is based on current market value.
    Do you have that in writing?

I would be concerned as to what they consider a reference for current market value especially in this ever so volatile market... I've been with Leland West insurance (American Modern) for close to 20 years and have one claim which was handled flawlessly.
    Last edited by Bummler; 06-11-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bummler View Post
    Do you have that in writing?

I would be concerned as to what they consider a reference for current market value especially in this ever so volatile market... I've been with Leland West insurance (American Modern) for close to 20 years and have one claim which was handled flawlessly.
    2 different people said so on separate occasions but thats probably a good idea. They said if it gets damaged or totaled they do market research to determine value at that time..... I drive my car every single day (or did) so classic insurance never applied. I put too many miles on every year.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Hagerty is great for stated value but they have a big restriction on annual mileage to like under 2500 miles py. You could also check with Progressive or even Infinity.
    "The greatest fear in the world is the opinion of others, the moment you are unafraid of the crowd you are no longer a sheep, you become a lion." - @thedailysuccess

'69 911T (in restoration to be Irish Grn)
    Other rides:
    2008 BMW 328i (wife's car)
    2003 Ford Expdtn Ed Bauer (my daily drvr)