Thread: Solex dampner question

Solex dampner question

Guys,

I confess to not knowing a thing about 911's. I recently picked up a late December '65 car through the help of my buddy Jim B. The car is very complete and unmolested. This is going to be my ladies summer driver after I fix it up for her. She gets to drive, I get to wrench, perfect situation.

The engine appears to be all complete and never apart. Trying to expand my knowledge and reading old posts I noticed that most cars with Solex carbs appear to have the dampner (901 108 650 00) fitted. My car is missing this piece. My question is, was this a standard piece fitted to all Solex equipped cars or something that was phased out before the factory switched to Webers?

TIA,
    Joris

P.S. picture of beautiful restored set of carbs borrowed from a fellow board member
    Attached Images Attached Images  

From those in the know, it was installed as a rudimentary emissions device, to slow throttle action on decal. The theory was that if the throttle closes a little more slowly, you puke less unburned gas into the air. What sucks is that when they don't work, you end up with crappy throttle return performance. I took mine off. I have two NOS ones in bags.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks Kenikh,

Am I right in assuming that they were likely used on all Solex fitted cars but that owners/mechanics would take them off when they got sticky etc. ?

Lightbulb

My generation used to call them 'dashpots'....

Here's what wikipedia says:
    Dashpots are commonly used in dampers and shock absorbers. The hydraulic cylinder in an automobile shock absorber is a dashpot. They are also used on carburetors, where the return of the throttle lever is cushioned right before the throttle fully closes and then is allowed to fully close slowly to reduce emissions of sudden deceleration (compared to deceleration without a dashpot)
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Thanks Kenikh,

Am I right in assuming that they were likely used on all Solex fitted cars but that owners/mechanics would take them off when they got sticky etc. ?
    Spot on. They do nothing other than add Concours points.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    Spot on. They do nothing other than add Concours points.
    For the guy behind you. . . so you don't shoot fire onto his bumper at the end of the straight, right?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

The guy behind me is never close enough for it to matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    For the guy behind you. . . so you don't shoot fire onto his bumper at the end of the straight, right?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389