Thread: Car hauling question

Car hauling question

What are the recommendations on the following when training a early P car...

Tie down methods... In the past I have used straps through the wheel openings.

Park brake setting? Apply park brake or not?

Transmission? Leave it in gear or not? If so what gear?

Thanks in advance.

Trailer ?

Only my 18 yrs experience....put it in neutral with e-brake on. Tie downs mounted to chassis are preferred to straps thru wheels. I "X" strap to trailer with 3" 5000# straps. Must check after a mile or so because the straps settle. Check and re-check all trailer connections and electrics.

Where to you mount to the chassis front & rear?

Easy. Takes 5 minutes to install them.

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tie...ctinfo/E03.04/

Craig T
    Ventura County, CA

I tow all of the time and love these. I use them on my 356's and 911's. Driven 100's of miles. Nothing touches the car.
    Lug nut tie downs. Use in place of a Lug nut.
    http://htsmall.automotion.com/assets...ku/P911822.jpg
    Bob M
    NorCal

I use the Automotion hooks on the rear of my 911, and hook through the a-frames on the front. Towed this way for over ten years, with no issues. Agree with prior comments on checking for strap tightness after a short duration of the haul. One of the things you might want to check on is to find a 'sweet spot' on your trailer, for your car. On my '72, the 'sweet spot' is the cars' jack point to be directly above the tandem axle spring hanger point between the axles. I have no sway, or other issues at any speeds, and I usually tow at 5MPH over. Finally...have developed a 'tow only' bra for the car that attached to the wheels via bungie cords, covering the 'S' spoiler, and the lower part of the longhood. The trash that's thrown up by the tow vehicle, and I've got some healthy mud flaps on it, is immense.

Make it a point every time you stop to check the straps, especially if it's raining. The car does a lot of bouncing and moving, straps do slip, or the car shifts, you would be surprised.

Like the time we thought this lady was giving us the "thumbs up" because of the A Coupe on the trailer. She wasn't, I figured this out when I saw her mouth the words, "You Idiot!"

I looked back and the car was going off the back of the trailer.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

U-Haul has a pretty slick "net" that goes over the top of the wheel and cinches down like a ratchet strap. Sent a 914/6 back to NJ this way (and it made it!)

MACS Tie Downs sell really nice equipment but I believe they utilize the "through the wheel" setup.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The U-Haul trailer is a little big for Porsche's, especially 356's, the tires are right on the inner lip of the rails. As a result the net can pop off if it gets too bouncy, like when you have drive through NYC on a saturday night because there are no trailers in the Holland Tunnel, after waiting in line for two hours at said tunnel.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Not in gear, no parking brake. I let the straps do their job and make sure you stop after 15-20 minutes of driving to relighting the straps. I use large straps and go over wheels. Tow company owner taught me this method.

Here it was on pickup-day, February 29, 2012.

Last edited by POS; 06-15-2013 at 01:23 PM.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab