Thread: Pulled the trigger on the 73 S - now have transport question

Pulled the trigger on the 73 S - now have transport question

Re my earlier posting about 73 S value, I have purchased the car and will be transporting it home (about 15 miles) on a trailer. The engine, transaxle and half-shafts are out of the car as are the rear shocks. Is it necessary to re-install the rear shocks before pushing the car onto the trailer? I ask because it is unclear to me if these offer critical stability to the rear suspension since the transaxle and half-shafts are out? I am prepping the car tomorrow for the transport on Saturday, and it is possible the rear emergency brake shoes have frozen in place. Will be simple enough to check, but if they are stuck, I'd love to hear suggestions in safely freeing them from the inside of the rotors. Thank you!

VIN = 9113301033

And just to keep The Story all together . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...798#post652798

Also . . . pictures = 1k words, etc
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-18-2013 at 08:27 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Yes, the shocks should be in place, but I don't think it is critical; They just dampen the movement of the suspension. However, you must have the stub axles in place in the hubs and snugged down with the castle nuts before moving to ensure the rear wheel bearings are not damaged. The stub axles are the splined parts bolted to the CV joints on the outboard ends of the half shafts.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Yes, the shocks should be in place, but I don't think it is critical; They just dampen the movement of the suspension. However, you must have the stub axles in place in the hubs and snugged down with the castle nuts before moving to ensure the rear wheel bearings are not damaged. The stub axles are the splined parts bolted to the CV joints on the outboard ends of the half shafts.
    Thank you so much for the helpful reply - certainly a good thing I asked re the need for the stub axles to be in place - possibly they are and I did not notice - but I've added it to the list of items to check when I do the pre-transport check tomorrow.

I am happy to post the VIN and engine number, and photos, when the funds have been handed to the owner on Saturday and she is in my garage! I am so pleased that there is a forum like this for the 'early' cars as I'll have lots of questions as I begin to undertake the task of returning this 'S' to its former glory.

Congratulations. I look forward to seeing your progress. Please post pics as you go.

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Congratulations! Pls post pics and details ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter