Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy to be buying a longhood hotrod?

Am I crazy to be buying a longhood hotrod?

A week ago I spent a wonderful day driving round trip from Spokane to Portland area in order to inspect a 73 hotrod built by owner Barrett Smith et. al and Jeff Gamroth (Rothsport). The car is a 73T (non sunroof) with a 77 3.0 T motor shoe horned in the back and has had extensive work performed on the suspension, brakes, etc. Many R Gruppers are likely familiar with this car as it has an exhaust note much akin to Satan gargling single malt scotch, hidden inside a pale yellow happy little frog exterior. The car is set up very well (at least below triple digit speeds) and provides a driving experience that is extremely unique (300 hp minimal lag turbo in a 2200 lb. car..... very very fun). I have lurked on air cooled forums for some time in hope of getting into one someday as in the past my P cars have been the water cooled variant (997 C2S and 997 Turbo). The siren song oozing from the air cooled cars finally became too much to resist, hence the hunt for an old school hotrod.

This car checks all the boxes that I desire, big power, very unassuming (at least until fired up), raw, unique, and built by someone who is very knowledgable. I cannot speak highly enough of Jeff Gamroth and his enthusiasm for these cars as well as the amazing shop that he has in Tualatin, Oregon (some pretty unbelievable cars stabled there awaiting work). Earl the parts manager is also a great guy to work with and a first class Porsche fanatic.

The car is being readied for sale with some minor adjustments including a rebuild of the 915 gearbox (which will be reinforced) and I will likely add a second oil cooler, wevo short shifter, and have Jeff throw the motor on their dyno for some tuning prior to delivery. Part of me still thinks I am crazy for not picking up another late model 911 but the personality of this car was simply too much to resist. The true longhood cognoscenti will likely turn their noses up at this car but I have a hard time believing any true car lover would be capable of suppressing a grin when they hear this car go on throttle. Perhaps the most telling quote describing this car came from Gamroth himself, "This car is badass!"

I hope to be on this forum well into the future and will certainly be joining as a contributing member after taking delivery of the car. Also I am hoping the increasing interest in earlier 911s helps limit loss exposure I tend to suffer with newer model vehicles (being aware that a stock restored 911 would be a much better investment but in my mind a whole lot less fun).

Here is a link to pics of the car: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...nt-killer.html

Cheers!

-Getz

Thumbs up

Getz,

This car is INDEED a known commodity to this community...... Never thought Barrett would let it go...

This is one of the coolest most well developed hot rods there is...... BIG congrats are in order....

Here at the Treffen tack day 4 weeks ago, always a star........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Congrats. I've always loved Barrett's Hot Rod. Can't beat 930 power in a light weight longhood. Welcome to the club
    1976 Turbo Carrera

Thanks all. Just going back and forth with an appraiser to meet my local credit union criteria and then should be good to go.

Buy it. Be happy.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I'm not sure I understand the question. Yes, you are crazy and (yes) you are doing the right thing.

It's a COMPLETELY different car from a modern 997/991 -- different character, different capabilities. Here's one way to conceptualize it: would you rather climb the seven summits or fly over each of them while sitting inside a 747?

Do you plan on tracking it? With a little time and effort, you'll be surprised at how well the car will do against modern cars on a race course.

Getz, you are buying one of the most unique early 911 hot rods ever built.
    Forget that it won the R Gruppe GT award last month.
    Forget that it's been in Excellence magazine.
    Forget that it will out drag a 3.4L monster or 3.6L Varioram powered early 911.
    Forget that it handles great while looking like a sleeper (a bright yellow one...).
    Forget all that.

Buy it for the noise. And the boost that matches it.

Enjoy!

Tom Fender and Barrett Smith on our recent adventure to Treffen (need to finish this story for Esses... ):
    Last edited by a911s; 06-14-2013 at 06:59 AM.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Turbocharged early cars are fun.

Like Chuck I'm surprised that it's for sale.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 06-14-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Grammar
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Best fun for your buck!!!...

I thought it was a '72? It has the oil door, so is it a very early '73?

Quote Originally Posted by getz View Post
    A week ago I spent a wonderful day driving round trip from Spokane to Portland area in order to inspect a 73 hotrod built by owner Barrett Smith et. al and Jeff Gamroth (Rothsport). The car is a 73T (non sunroof) with a 77 3.0 T motor shoe horned in the back and has had extensive work performed on the suspension, brakes, etc. Many R Gruppers are likely familiar with this car as it has an exhaust note much akin to Satan gargling single malt scotch, hidden inside a pale yellow happy little frog exterior. The car is set up very well (at least below triple digit speeds) and provides a driving experience that is extremely unique (300 hp minimal lag turbo in a 2200 lb. car..... very very fun). I have lurked on air cooled forums for some time in hope of getting into one someday as in the past my P cars have been the water cooled variant (997 C2S and 997 Turbo). The siren song oozing from the air cooled cars finally became too much to resist, hence the hunt for an old school hotrod.

This car checks all the boxes that I desire, big power, very unassuming (at least until fired up), raw, unique, and built by someone who is very knowledgable. I cannot speak highly enough of Jeff Gamroth and his enthusiasm for these cars as well as the amazing shop that he has in Tualatin, Oregon (some pretty unbelievable cars stabled there awaiting work). Earl the parts manager is also a great guy to work with and a first class Porsche fanatic.

The car is being readied for sale with some minor adjustments including a rebuild of the 915 gearbox (which will be reinforced) and I will likely add a second oil cooler, wevo short shifter, and have Jeff throw the motor on their dyno for some tuning prior to delivery. Part of me still thinks I am crazy for not picking up another late model 911 but the personality of this car was simply too much to resist. The true longhood cognoscenti will likely turn their noses up at this car but I have a hard time believing any true car lover would be capable of suppressing a grin when they hear this car go on throttle. Perhaps the most telling quote describing this car came from Gamroth himself, "This car is badass!"

I hope to be on this forum well into the future and will certainly be joining as a contributing member after taking delivery of the car. Also I am hoping the increasing interest in earlier 911s helps limit loss exposure I tend to suffer with newer model vehicles (being aware that a stock restored 911 would be a much better investment but in my mind a whole lot less fun).

Here is a link to pics of the car: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...nt-killer.html

Cheers!

-Getz
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425