Thread: WTB: 1965 - 68 engine grill part

WTB: 1965 - 68 engine grill part

Hi

So I was taking an engine grill apart to remove the paint and all but one of the nuts came off cleanly... the last one snapped the shaft (rod) on to which it was attached. I managed to save the nut by drilling out and retapping the thread... but now I need the shaft (rod) that it was attached to.

I am sure anyone who has done this job knows the frustration!

Anyhow: now I need one of these pesky shafts (rods) that holds all of the bars and spacers in place.

Someone must have a spare one lying around, or has a really skanky grill that is beyond saving... please!

I know I can do a repair job on the piece that I have, but would prefer to replace the broken shaft.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone out there can help!

Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Stephen - I've been there and done that. Nobody sells these new that I could find, but what did work for me was here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=n6l0uu

I forget the thread size off the top of my head so you need to check it, but if you've ever dealt with these guys, they are amazing. It comes in like a day or 2. I ordered the 1 meter length, cut it down (sure it's fully threaded unlike the original so it may cost you a concurs win, but only if the judges are really really good), and you are good to go.

PS - if you putz around some more on the McMaster website you can also find acorn nuts that are pretty close to the originals - again, not identical, but no one has said anything about them yet to me.
    Last edited by luke-44; 06-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.

This was McMaster's response to my order:

Hi Stephen,

Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from our established customers. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We cannot accept this order or future orders.

Lauren
    330-995-5983

And I thought putting a small piece of metal in the post was quite straightforward... isn't that what we do all the time?

Member #1616

Stephen,
    I had good sucess with Fastenal in Canada, maybe they will have it...

Regards
    JD
    1970S Coupe, Blood orange #1436
    1965 Coupe, Dolphin gray #1506

R Gruppe #647 ; S Registry #1666

Quote Originally Posted by RS-GT View Post
    Stephen,
    I had good sucess with Fastenal in Canada
    Yup, that worked! Thanks!

Stephen

Member #1616