Thread: FS: 1957 Porsche Speedster barn find - for sale- cheap

FS: 1957 Porsche Speedster barn find - for sale- cheap

I am selling this 1957 356 for my neighbor - a little old lady who is the original owner, it was sitting in her barn unused for a long time, no rust anywhere - guaranteed!, only 6,000Km. I am just flipping it for $25,000 or best offer.

Are you excited? well calm down, obviously this car is just a replica, thought I would have fun and post it here..... I never do anything with replica cars, helping an elderly neighbor sell this car. Let the unfiltered comments roll in
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the fine print!
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Banned
    Cruel joke.
    You're going to raise someone's blood pressure to an unsafe level.

I'll take it for the $2500 asking price. When can I pick it up?

It goes to show, that a 356 replica can be as real to a room full of Porsche Enthusiasts as fools gold would be to a 49er miner.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

Even if I had a 'real' one, I'd still want something like this to drive everywhere I went in the summertime.

Are these things really $25k cars? What more can you tell us about this example?

GLWS.

I am with Mike...... Tell us more....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Whatta tease... the dirt on the hood is a nice touch.

$25 grand worth remains to be seen, that's not far from retail on the usual VW based suspects.

Tupperspeedster quality is relative to the builder, what's the story with this one? Year of Beetle pan and engine details also, please.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Ok first, I am not going to argue which plastic replica is better than the other because I am an authenticity nut and nothing on this car is authentic aside from the look it resembles. The owner of this car is 77 years old, a retired Justice of the Peace with a titanium knee. The car has been babied its whole life. This is probably the only time I will sell a replica anything, do not commit this to my permanent record as I am only helping someone who asked for my help.

This is a Beck Speedster. The current retail price on a brand new Beck Speedster is $37,000 with all the bells and whistles. This one has all the bells and whistles.

The base body is $22,000 and you get a body only. Add suspension, brakes, wheels, trim, electrical, interior, engine, transmission and that is where the price varies greatly. Theses cars are manufactured in Brazil with a NEW tubular frame - not a cut up old VW pan. All suspension and drive train are VW Beetle so the ancillaries are bolt on from any source. The builder of the car can go very cheap or very deluxe. I have seen some of these cars with bone stock used but rebuilt 1600cc single carb VW engine, drum brakes, and minimal equipment - these are the fake speedsters you see trading in the $15k range..... Replica Speedsters have been build since the late 1970s (yes people were too cheap to buy a real speedster even when they were affordable). These older Speedster kits are the worst piles of junk ever, put on cut up VW pans and built to suit the budget of the day.

These days there are some much higher quality replicas being built. THis Beck is one of them. This particular cars is:

2003 Beck build

6000 Km since new

1915cc VW engine with 44 Weber IDF carburetors - everything on this engine including the block was new so this is a $6000 engine with 125hp, this is where this car is different than many of the lesser priced ones. This car is fast!

Pro street transmission (strengthened)

Silver on Blue leather interior

Blaupunkt AM/FM CD player

Additional heater

Convertible top with side curtains

Full tonneau cover

Titled in Texas as a 1957 Porsche Speedster

You could not buy a new speedster with the larger engine and all the extras for less than $30k...... high quality replicas actually hold their value. The Beck is one of the better ones. The only reason I know all this stuff about Becks is I used to manage a dealership that dealt with specialty and exotic cars. We must have had 4 or 5 of these cars for sale over the years. The price I am asking is fair, I will consider all offers too.

The pictures above show the car covered in Texas dust.... here are some cleaned up pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images