Thread: 73 S - trying to identify some interior wiring..

73 S - trying to identify some interior wiring..

First project on my newly acquired 73 S was to remove the older Alpine stereo and associated wiring and have two mysteries:

Under each seat, is what I would describe as a thick black telephone style cord (straight until the last 6" or so where it is coiled and directly under each seat) with a small connector on the end. They seem unrelated to the stereo/speaker wiring I removed in the same area. I have NOT removed these cords thinking they may be factory - perhaps for an electric seat option??

I also found what appears to a length of non-factory wiring (looks just like red/black speaker wire) that was in the dash area floor and split apart by about six inches with the ends stripped and seemingly used for something. The mystery is why this wire then runs under the tunnel carpet (which has been replaced in the past), under the access panel for the shift rod and through an opening there into the engine compartment where it is long enough to reach back to the right side rear/oil tank area. The previous owner simply has looped and tied it there since the engine is removed.

Thanks!

US DOT Required!

Under the material of the factory seats (both Standard and Sport) are weight sensors that the coiled wire plugs into these tell the seat belt light to light up on the dash when either a driver or both driver/passenger are sitting in the car. The other wire goes to the seat belt receiver which tells the light to go off when the seat belt is inserted.
    Last edited by execmalibu; 06-17-2013 at 05:04 AM.

Thank you for the prompt reply...I did see a wire and connector exiting out of the bottom of the seat - it all makes sense now!
    Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    US DOT Required!

Under the material of the factory seats (both Standard and Sport) are weight sensors that the coiled wire plugs into these tell the seat belt light to light up on the dash when either a driver or both driver/passenger are sitting in the car. The other wire goes to the seat belt receiver which tells the light to go off when the seat belt is inserted.

member #1515
    Not just a light but an annoying buzzer. Which is why most are disconnected.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Mac

You said that the car came with no motor or trans? Did it have a later motor and trans before you bought it?
    If so, the wires in the tunnel are probably for an electric speedometer. They would go to the sensor on the side of the late 915 gear box.

Regards

Jim

Sorry for any confusion re my car - the engine and trans are out of the car, but I have them and each is original to it. I sent the former owner a note last evening and he believes the red/black wire I referenced was installeld with a rocker switch by a mechanic years ago that ran to some part of the fuel injection system to give it a 'jolt' of additional fuel to make it easier starting in the winter. All that 'stuff' is going during the rebuild and reassembly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Mac

You said that the car came with no motor or trans? Did it have a later motor and trans before you bought it?
    If so, the wires in the tunnel are probably for an electric speedometer. They would go to the sensor on the side of the late 915 gear box.

Regards

Jim