Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants: Traverse City PCA Concours 2013

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants: Traverse City PCA Concours 2013

Eight years ago, I traveled to Michigan in the dead of winter and bought this:

Name:  tc 1.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  128.5 KB

The interior had seen the ravages of time as well:

I drove it to the 2005 Parade in Hershey, with what I now realize were five broken compression rings, and the temperature skyrocketed, like this:

I came quickly to the conclusion that this car needed a total rebuild from top to bottom, so I tore it apart.

Eight years later, the car was finished. Those of you who have been following the saga know that I took it to Series900, where under Damon's expert care, the car was completely stripped and blasted, extensive new metal welded in on the Celette bench, new single stage Irish Green paint was applied, followed by seam sealer (with a brush), schutz, and satin black. He's one part artist, one part historian and one part metal bender, and I can't thank him enough for his guidance and patience over the four years we worked together on this project.

The rest of the car was a compilation of the efforts of some of the best in our community: check of my rebuild and Dyno work by Peter Dawe; Wood by Bruce Crawford; gauges by North Hollywood; Carbs by Harry Bieker; interior by Tony Garcia; Radio by Wilfred Wilkes, Sr., steelies by Harvey Weidman, and the list goes on and on.

Finally it was nearly complete, and I thought there was no better catalyst to drive its completion, or to share the passion and enjoyment of bringing it back to life, than at the PCA Parade Concours.

Let me say one thing right at the top before the eye candy: the folks I met at Parade were some of the nicest, most complimentary, most down-to-earth and most knowledgable I have ever come across. The support and good wishes I received were overwhelming.

I left before sunrise with the car loaded down by boxes of parts, detailing tools and supplies.

Departure (not the book by Bob Tilton! )

Name:  tc2.JPG
Views: 745
Size:  146.4 KB

I arrived in the Concours Prep Area, which was the enclosed Tennis Court/Exhibit Hall at the Grand Traverse Resort, around 11:00 a.m. on Friday.

Name:  tc3.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  101.1 KB

The level of preparation and dedication was great. I basically spent every day until 11:00 p.m. in the prep hall, and at least half the competitors were there the whole time. The prep hall was open to the public, and so a steady stream of folks came by, from people asking "what year?" to guys saying, "I own a '68 912 that's Irish Green, great color!" Probably a hundred people came by with positive comments and pleasant things to say-- I took the time to talk to everyone.

Name:  tc4.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  116.7 KB

I started with the undercarriage, figuring that would be the hardest part. The mud and road grime from my 900 mile drive there came off pretty easily. Some oil stains on the heat exchangers were a bit tougher. Fortunately for me, fellow competitor Dave Seeland lent me half a red scotch-brite pad, which made quick work of the stains. Dave also lent a hand around midnight on the final day when I needed help with the hood shocks and was always there with a great story.

Name:  tc5.JPG
Views: 748
Size:  93.8 KB
    Last edited by 304065; 06-27-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Night fell on Friday with the undercarriage done and everything laid out for the next two days. Yes, I did fit all of that stuff into a 911-- although I did send the steel wheels UPS.

Name:  tc6.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  93.9 KB

The next morning I tackled the engine compartment, making sure the engine ran on Kettering-ignition, probably for the first time in 25 years. I had to pull the distributor to install the condenser clamp and make a few other changes that basically entailed putting the car in inoperable status for a few hours, gambling that everything would work when I turned the key. Which, fortunately, it did.

Name:  tc7.JPG
Views: 716
Size:  147.5 KB

My Webasto exhaust pipe and muffler arrived, not by UPS, but in the 944 Turbo of a longtime New Hampshire resident and 1967S owner! He personally delivered the pipe to the Concours prep, for which I am extremely grateful. (Damon set the whole thing up of course.)

Name:  tc8.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  86.0 KB

The 4.5" 3/66 coded steelies, fresh from Harvey's shop, were unboxed and mounted up. This transforms the look of the car from the more modern look with the Pfake Pfuchs (a set of flat sixes I had made to look like 4.5's, an inside joke) to the missing link to the 356.

Name:  tc9.JPG
Views: 725
Size:  67.2 KB

As night fell I took a short break and walked around the prep area. . . so many great cars were present.

Like this silver 72S with Texas plates, a class winner! And its owner a true class act.

Name:  tc10.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  98.1 KB
    Last edited by 304065; 06-27-2013 at 06:49 PM.

. . . continuing the tour. . . in the Preservation class, a pristine early 1973 911T, owned by a great guy from South Carolina. . . Preservation cars have 75% original paint or more and are judged not by points but on pure originality.

Name:  tc11.JPG
Views: 679
Size:  111.8 KB

Who can forget the Sepia Brown 1973 911S of our fellow Registry member? It was great to meet and get to know her, and her car won its division and was present in the banquet hall for the awards dinner.

Name:  tc12.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  98.8 KB

In the historic display, this 924, with period funky graphics! Also a preservation car.

Name:  tartan 79.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  104.2 KB

I worked the remainder of Saturday and Sunday on the car. Rather than doing one entire operation, such as final polishing or waxing, on the whole car, I took a panel-by-panel approach, mixing up the disciplines of paint correction, waxing, metal polish, touch-up, etc., This way, when a section was complete, I knew I could move on. This is somewhat of an unconventional approach, but it worked for me.

I took another break on Sunday night and went to the Pirelli Welcome Party. Pulled Pork anybody?

Name:  tc13.JPG
Views: 698
Size:  150.0 KB

Finally Monday morning arrived- I had a slightly later grid time than my fellow competitors-- not until 8:00 a.m., with judging from 9-11. Others had 5:30 times which practically meant they were getting up at 3:00 a.m. So I took the opportunity to finish up a couple last-minute items in the morning. Even if it meant that the prep hall looked like this:

Name:  empty prep hall jpg.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  110.1 KB

It was a little disconcerting, I mean, everybody was gone! I kept hoping I wasn't late, must have re-read the schedule three times to be sure.

It was time to go.
    Last edited by 304065; 06-27-2013 at 06:32 PM.

It all came down to this:

Name:  tc15.JPG
Views: 3707
Size:  170.8 KB

It was as close to perfect as I could make it-- in the time I had. Along the way I realized that I simply didn't have the time to make everything right, I would have to accept that there were certain parts that didn't arrive in time, or certain areas that needed more work. But at that moment, it was the very best I could offer.

Name:  tc16.JPG
Views: 704
Size:  157.1 KB

I was in a competitive class against some VERY nice cars-- a Polo Red '65 production MY 1966 with centerlube cams, Solex motor, washer bag in the fender, gray tank with a tar sombrero-- all nice original touches on a car that had spent probably twenty years in dry storage. The owner was a great guy who shared my passion for originality and the love of all things Porsche. The blue car, similar story, a 1969 911T that had been meticulously restored to a very high standard.

Name:  tc17.JPG
Views: 693
Size:  180.2 KB

The stopwatch was started and judging began. First the head judge did a walkaround for overall impression, then each of the front undercarriage, rear undercarriage, engine, interior, trunk, exterior and engine compartment was evaluated for originality, preparation and cleanliness. Because I had entered in the "full" category, each of these was judged, with a maximum total of 300 points. Much like human beings, all cars start off perfect and go downhill from there as deficiencies are identified.

You have to hand it to the judges, it was a humid 80 degree day, and yet they went right to work.

Name:  j4.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  185.7 KB

Literally every square inch of the car was gone over, along with the toolkit and spare.

Name:  j3.JPG
Views: 696
Size:  173.8 KB
    Last edited by 304065; 06-27-2013 at 07:19 PM.

It was a pretty long five minutes I have to tell you!

Following judging, the judges gave me constructive, helpful feedback on areas where I could improve. This was a big plus and part of the reason I entered the Concours-- to get good suggestions on areas for future progress.

With judging complete I took the opportunity to wander around and see some other cars in my division. Like this eye-poppingly beautiful 1963 356 with a four-cam motor! This car took a well-deserved first place in my division.

Name:  tc20.JPG
Views: 766
Size:  145.5 KB

I heard that the owner spent fifteen years to get to this point, well worth the time and effort.

Name:  tc21.JPG
Views: 785
Size:  102.3 KB

Also in close competition was this 1974 Carrera, amazing paint and details on this car.

Name:  tc19.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  101.8 KB

This year, with the inclusion of the "Street" class, over 225 cars entered. "Street" class provides a competitive alternative for folks who aren't inclined to go all the way to "full" but who still want to come and compete. Some very nice cars- I was paddocked next to a great guy who drove to the Parade from California, removed the bug jerky and went on to win his class in a 2006 Carrera S in Cobalt Blue.

Name:  tc22.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  150.4 KB

From there it was over to the historic display, where some "Rally" cars were on exhibit. . . hmmm. . . .

Name:  tc23.JPG
Views: 694
Size:  142.2 KB
    Last edited by 304065; 06-27-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Even though Jerry Seinfeld couldn't make it, #1 was on display. The paint on this car is incredible-- sort of a cross beween gray, purple, blue, brown and black. The photos just do not capture it, you have to see it in person. For a restoration done by Porsche Classic now 15 years ago, it really stands out.

Name:  tc24.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  130.7 KB

Later when the event broke up, my friend and fellow Early S member Bob pulled along side for a photo.

Name:  tc26.JPG
Views: 691
Size:  161.5 KB

Results? Well, I was lucky enough to place first in Class, second in Division, and received the Zuffenhausen award for scoring in excess of 295 out of 300 possible points. For a guy who felt lucky just to be there, this was an incredible honor.

The Concours banquet was attended by Ferry's Porsche's son, Hans-Peter Porsche, who flew in from Austria at the age of 71 to joke with MC Mark Shevitz. Detlev von Platen, the guy who signs your certificate of Authenticity, was there, and at 10:00 p.m. he introduced the new GT3 which was driven into the banquet hall and parked center stage. It was a great event-- part of the evening included recognizing the number of years that certain attendees had been at parade, and more than a couple were in the 40-50 year range. Amazing.

Name:  tc27.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  57.1 KB

You know something? While the trophy and having my name in the books is great, the most fun thing was being part of the larger Porsche community, having folks on their vacations that I didn't even know come up and offer congratuations, or questions, or support in some way. In this way, I feel that my success is due to many people who have helped over the years. In no particular order:

Damon Josz
    Grady Clay
    Steve Weiner
    Ed Mayo
    Bob Fleming
    Harvey Weidman
    Warren Hall, Jr. (RIP)
    Ron Madaio (RIP)
    Brad Davis
    Eric Shea
    Richard V.H.
    Peter Dawe
    George and Ike at Ollie's Machine
    Tony Garcia
    Bruce Crawford
    Wilfred Wilkes, Sr.

and the list goes on and on. I would like to thank the members of the Early 911S Registry for their extensive advice, suggestions, and the fire to keep on pushing this project forward, even when it was in cardboard boxes and the bark of the motor was a distant memory.

"IF I HAVE SEEN FARTHER, IT IS BECAUSE I WAS STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS." - Sir Isaac Newton, 1676.

My success is the success of all those who pitched in to help along the way. Thank you.
    Last edited by 304065; 06-27-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Congrats John! Well done!

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Congratulations.

You are not only a survivor of the slippery slope, you are an exemplar.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Congratulations John! Well deserved. What were the 5 points deducted for?
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

John
    stunning result. This is the way. Now go get some bug jerky on there

Congratulations,

Scott
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay