Thread: Questions for the suspension experts

Questions for the suspension experts

I thought I had 15mm front and rear sway bars on my 1967 car. Nope. 13mm front with adjustable links, (see picture) and 16mm rear. I'm guessing the car (912 body) came with a 13mm front and the 16mm rear bar was added later. I have 19mm front and 24mm rear Carrera torsion bars on the car now and a new set of 25mm sway a way torsion bars in storage. I have the car set at 25 inches front and 24.5 inches rear at the wheel wells. I can probably source some bigger front sway bars. I have newer konis (4000 miles) set on the middle setting. The car was 2084 pounds with the 912 drivetrain. With the POLO I'm guessing 2125 to 2150. I need to weight it. I don't track it, I drive it mostly in the Colorado mountains and will drive it some between Carpinteria and Monterey. I run 6x16 wheels with 195/55/16 tires front and 205/55/16 on 6 1/2x16 rear wheels. I might go 205/50/16 in the rear next time. The engine is probably 80 pounds lighter than a 6. I want to set it up for sporting street use as best I can with the stuff I have other than sourcing bigger front sway bars if needed. How would you set it up. I have 356 and 914/6 experience but less than 10,000 miles of 911/912 experience. Some of you guys have 20, 30 and more years experience with these cars and you've already tried many different combinations. The engine makes something like 175 to 200hp at sea level.
    Your input is appreciated.
    Thanks, Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-28-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Try just the 15mm in front and NOTHING in the rear. You'll like it!
    Certainly would not go any stiffer on torsion bars on a 912.
    You haven't said anything about your shocks.
    Remember bigger torsion and sways is additive as to spring rate......you are at the limit with the bigger rear.
    The suspension needs to move...especially on roads.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

19mm front and 15mm on the rear seems to work excellent for me with my 912 power plant. Konis set to the middle
    Last edited by Bob Harriman; 06-28-2013 at 10:00 AM.

I went half hard in front and 3/4 hard in rear, 15mm front, nothing in rear and stock torsion bars....juuuust right for the street and street tires.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Chris,

Stock Torsion bars could have been 19/23. With a 13 or 15mm front anti roll bar, no rear.
    Try the 19/25 combination.
    A 21/26 has always been a sporty street target.
    22/27 for mostly street and a little track for a 2200lb car.

For a bench mark try the adjustable 19mm anti roll on the front. Adjust the Koni to 1/2 turn from full soft.
    (Koni has five half turns from full soft to full hard)

16mm anti roll bar on the back is a good pairing to the front 19. Adjustables add tuning refinements.
    Adjust the rear Koni's to 2.5 half turns (middle of the adjustment range).

Pick your favorite tight turn road and drive it both ways, make adjustments to one end of the car, drive, make notes.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Chris, on my late 65 build 912, I have 19 & 23 T bars, I am running a 19 sway front (with stock non adjust able links) and an adjustable 16mm rear sway. I have felt that was a easy balance working the rear bar and not both, (my view any how) I have Koni's front & rear, running the rears at half way point, maybe 1/2 turn to stiff. the fronts are externally adjustable on the top mount in the trunk, I think I am about 3/4 stiff most the time, I am in the mountains. I am running 6 x 16's with 205-55 16 on all 4 corners and I may be set a bit lower than you.
    I do not have the power you have :-( but I feel this set up would handle (love) the extra HP, my 616 is mild increase over stock, well tuned.
    the balance of this is great. I may bump up the sways a touch when I re do the 71 targa to 21 / 26 this fall winter.

I sorted out this set up over a couple years, have had the car about 12 yrs, good luck and have fun.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Chris. Having driven your car, I think it is fine the way it is. The only change I might suggest would be replacing the 13mm front sway bar with a 15mm or larger. Your idea of using a rear tire in a shorter 205/50/16 size next time is a good one. I think it will give your 912 a better stance.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Randy, Jerry, Bob, Mark, Bob,
    Thanks so much for the input!
    Chris

Hayden @ WEVO will shortly be offering 16mm and 17mm front sway bars for early 911/912s that will utilize the early sway bar mounting hardware.