Thread: When did chrome bumper 911 production end?

When did chrome bumper 911 production end?

What month of 1973 did chrome bumper 911's stop being produced? I have a 1973 2.4s registered in late March, does anyone on here have a later car? I am thinking about the UK RHD market but would also be interested to know of Lhd cars from around the world. Where is the last one produced?

For US LHD cars, I've gone by the typically accepted idea that the Jan '73 and later delivered cars had the black foam bumperettes.
    Early MY73 cars delivered prior to Jan '73 were often seen with the black coated steel bumperettes.
    I'm not sure about ROW "rules".
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

As far as I'm aware chrome overriders were used on UK (& European) models right up to the end of the '73 model year.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    As far as I'm aware chrome overriders were used on UK (& European) models right up to the end of the '73 model year.
    i agree, my car was 60 from the end of 911E production in late June and was chrome. ROW car though coming to australia
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Do you mean end of production without a rubber insert (all chrome) or do you mean when did all plastic start ?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I'd be interested in getting a solid date on this. My early '73S (10/72) had the big rubber ones, and I was hoping they weren't original.

at some point in '73 the rest of world cars were delivered with '72 style chrome bumpers that were painted, plastic coated or dipped in semi-gloss black

The black bumperettes weren't painted to get the black look. They were coated in a sort of plasti-dip like color.
    jc4me2, it depends on when your car was delivered to the dealer. In the US the law required the foam
    bumperettes in Jan. You can always error in the favor of style and hope that your car made it to the dealer before the end of the year.
    My 10/72 build car has the black steel bumperettes, I put them on.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306