Thread: Best available ft./rr. hood struts?

Best available ft./rr. hood struts?

Need all new hood/decklid struts. Each of my 3 old ones differ from each other, esp. in the mounting fitting. Who makes/sells the most correct struts?
    Also, I remember a thread discussing the markings/stampings, but can't seem to find now. Thanks all.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Stabilus for a standard hood without hood lights, are fine.....about a 3-5 year life span IMO

There are heavy duty ones with a life time guarantee, but I can never get the back of the hood to line up to my satisfaction with them on, no matter how many washers and adjusting I do.
    Tony

They all suck.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Bob my parts guy at Sunset Imports in Portland suggested 959 front hood supports. They are a little more expensive but have been on my car for years. They hold the hood up great. The interesting thing about them is the pressure is only at the top half of the hood opening. When you lower the hood you have to hold it, because, half way down the hood drops like a rock. There is no pressure when the hood is down. No hood push up at the back. I don't know how it does it, but it does. The body is a little bigger and will not be mistaken for original ones, so buy at the risk of not being original. But your hood will stay up. Prior to these I had been thru multiple sets with no success. Gled PS I think the 959 had a composite hood or other, and needed the no pressure closed to deal with the light weight hood.
    Last edited by gled49; 07-02-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks all. I guess my title should have been "best, most correct" struts, as I'm trying to address some of the details. I'd like to keep it correct, even if that means 3 year replacement plan.Thanks again.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I'm happy with the struts that I bought from Aase Sales. They are the Stabilus brand from a later 911, slightly larger in diameter, but wok well in my '71.

I like the 959 idea.

I can confirm, they work great. But pricey, when I bought them from Stoddard.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Pelican used to sell struts with a lifetime warranty. Don't know if they still do. Buy these under the assumption that they will fail and save your receipt.

Here in New England, I'm guessing that the deep cold in winter, the hot temperatures in the summer combined with lack of use for six minths of the year is what kills the hydraulics in any choice.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512