Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 914-6 Originality question?

Paid Member # 1991

914-6 Originality question?

A question to the experts: Did the 1970 914-6 share the same gas tank evaporation control system with the 914-4? I ask, because my -6 is missing the charcoal canister that sits on top of the fuel tank, and I'm wondering if a different system was used on the -6 model, or if mine has had it's removed (more likely). If so, did the vacuum lines back to the engine also route the same as the -4 ?? Thanks in advance for any advise. I'm pretty familiar with the -4 setup and diagram, but don't have a good -6 with which to compare.

Regards,

- MR

I could take pictures of mine, either tomorrow or Monday if that would help. If so, email me with 914-6 in the subject line.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Paid Member # 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    I could take pictures of mine, either tomorrow or Monday if that would help. If so, email me with 914-6 in the subject line.
    Email sent. Thanks much!!

- MR

Link to photo of my 70' six

229 MPH 3.0 MFI 911
    As I recall there was a California version that had the evap control and the 49 state cars did not.

Paid Member # 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by 914-6gt View Post
    Link to photo of my 70' six
    Thank you. Was that originally a "California" car?

- MR

Paid Member # 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR911 View Post
    As I recall there was a California version that had the evap control and the 49 state cars did not.
    Thanks. That seems to be the consensus among several knowledgeable folks I've talked to. Some did, and some didn't. The earlier the car, the less likely it came originally equipped. Unless from California. Then more-likely.

- MR

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRoads View Post
    Thank you. Was that originally a "California" car?

- MR
    Sorry, it took a while to confirm from the source, directly from my 'contact' at Porsche.de

Emissions for 914-6 Factory Cars - Marc at Porsche.de.jpg

It appears that All early U.S. 914 models had the charcoal canister installed, not just California cars. As a matter of fact, the point of entry for my vin 914.043.1722 was "New York", not California as I originally thought. My COA does not provide that informaiton. Below is again a reply from my source at Porsche, Germany.

Point of Entry for my 1970 Porsche 914-6 Factory Car vin 914.043.1722 - Marc at Porsche.de 2.jpg

...and I'll also post some additional information provide to me by another good source of information, B Buschen.

Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:55 AM
    To: ajserrano
    Subject: RE: Antwort: RE: 914/6 VIN 914.043.1722</SPAN></SPAN>

Hi Armando-</SPAN>

I don’t believe the Charcoal Evaporation canister was a California only emissions devise. I’m pretty sure it was a Federal emissions requirement for all cars. See text from “How stuff works”</SPAN>

The fuel we put in our cars contains more than 150 chemicals, including benzene, toluene and sometimes even lead. These ingredients can cause dizziness, breathing problems and headaches when they're inhaled. Inhaling large amounts of </SPAN>gasoline</SPAN> fumes can even cause </SPAN>death</SPAN>. On top of all that, evaporated gasoline is one of the leading causes of smog and air pollution.</SPAN></SPAN>
    For these reasons, carmakers are required to install systems on their vehicles that help mitigate gasoline evaporations. Environmental regulation in the United States began in earnest in the early 1970s, and as a result, cars have had evaporative emission control (EVAP) systems ever since. These systems are designed to store and dispose of fuel vapors before they can escape into the atmosphere.
    </SPAN></SPAN>
    A typical system consists of a small canister full of charcoal, valves, hoses, vents in the fuel lines and a sealed fuel tank cap. When fuel evaporates inside the gas tank, the excess vapors are transferred to the charcoal canister. They're stored there until they can safely be transferred back to the
    </SPAN>engine</SPAN> to be burned with the normal air-fuel mixture.

</SPAN></SPAN>
    Bernie

Vin 914.043.1722 - Charcoal Canister.jpg

</SPAN>

Paid Member # 1991
    Thank you 914-6gt:

That's very interesting. Except, it doesn't seem to be consistent.
    1) Several folks have asserted that they know of cars that definitely never had one.
    2) My car doesn't have the holes where the rubber vacuum line connections disappear from the trunk (below the radio antenna in the above pic), that I've seen in -4 cars and would be in the picture above. The sheet metal is absolutely void of any indication holes ever existed there. I doubt somebody would take the effort to perfectly patch and repaint that area.

Open to disagreement.

- MR
    Last edited by MountainRoads; 07-26-2013 at 09:07 PM.

All I can say and confirm is that my factory six is not a 'California' car and the point of entry was in fact 'New York' and it did come with the 'factory installed' charcoal canister...