Thread: 73 S - need help in identifying several parts and other mysteries..

73 S - need help in identifying several parts and other mysteries..

May I please ask for help in identifying the grouping of parts in one photo (possible that some or all are from the fellows E320 MB as several of those parts made their way into the 73S boxes. Also, the photo showing the door pillar strike plate (both doors) has a small (eraser sized) dome with pin hole just above the stricker -if original, what is the purpose? The photo showing the drivers door has several countersunk holes above and below the latch...just on the drivers door...why? Lastly, I attached a photo of the seats - seemingly sport seats with all the hardware, i.e. rails, levers and knobs, seat back support arms, being correct...just looking for confirmation that these are indeed correct for my 73S. Thank you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

That's probably a later model door, those holes are punched, not drilled. top left is battery positive post cover, top center is guide for retractor belt, top right are window down stops (glue in door bottom) two center items are the flip out pocket stops, bottom two are front license plate brackets. Turn seat bottoms over and show picture, 73's have a double locker mechanism.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Banned
    And once again it pays to have a consultant assist with restorations or a body shop that knows these cars!
    I feel for you; that door needs to be replaced if you want a proper car.

A real bummer.

I believe early '73's were single lockers

Ed - thanks a million. I PM'd you this morning...we met in the Traverse City Parade concours prep area and you were most helpful to me as a new 'S' owner...I have additional questions if you can help. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    May I please ask for help in identifying the grouping of parts in one photo (possible that some or all are from the fellows E320 MB as several of those parts made their way into the 73S boxes. Also, the photo showing the door pillar strike plate (both doors) has a small (eraser sized) dome with pin hole just above the stricker -if original, what is the purpose? The photo showing the drivers door has several countersunk holes above and below the latch...just on the drivers door...why? Lastly, I attached a photo of the seats - seemingly sport seats with all the hardware, i.e. rails, levers and knobs, seat back support arms, being correct...just looking for confirmation that these are indeed correct for my 73S. Thank you all!

member #1515
    I think we need a backup copy of Ed in the cloud, that was impressive. AND he's quick too!!!!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Indeed - Ed is most gracious with his time and knowledge - a real treasure!

I thought we already played name this part and Mr. Mayo won hands down and in record time..proud and honored to call him a friend !

DM

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    That's probably a later model door, those holes are punched, not drilled. top left is battery positive post cover, top center is guide for retractor belt, top right are window down stops (glue in door bottom) two center items are the flip out pocket stops, bottom two are front license plate brackets. Turn seat bottoms over and show picture, 73's have a double locker mechanism.
    That's just crazy...

73 S - sport seat underside

Here is a photos of the underside of the seat...seems to be a double locker mechanism..

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images