Thread: Throw out bearing Noise HELP

Throw out bearing Noise HELP

Had motor & Trans out last month and took care of a few problems and now back in car. Never had any problems/sounds with clutch before. Now when I push in clutch I hear a noise (throw out?) it goes away in neutral. Will these just all of a sudden start making noise? Could it be an install/adjustment issue? Clutch/Tranny works and shifts beautifully. Any way to replace TO with out total motor/tranny removal?
    Thanks for help

What year car? What did your work consist of? Did you try to clean gunk off of throwout bearing? If it goes away in neutral I'd doubt it's throw out brg. They don't know or care what gear you're in, it's all pressure against the clutch! Did you change clutch adjustment? Is it a 901? Is it possible throw out arm is pressing against spinning pressure plate, although what gear you're in shouldn't matter there either. Did you change adjustment on pedal stop on floorboard?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Sorry I did not put in year.
    1966 911 coupe. original motor & Tranny. Motor had been rebuilt years before and then car sat for many years.
    Motor removed to clean up Rat droppings. While out we cleaned&replaced a few things ( hoses, wires & ect).
    The noise is only when pressure is applied to clutch. The clutch was adjusted when motor and tranny put back in.
    The bearing was very clean, actually looked almost new, put back just like it came out. Everything functions well just
    a noise when pedal pushed down.
    Bob
    Last edited by bobm; 07-08-2013 at 09:48 PM.

This won't help you now, but did you lubricate the pilot bearing? that's the needle bearing in the center of the flywheel. Sometimes when dry they'll make a noise as you're letting the clutch out, but yours sounds like it may be more of a continual noise as long as you're holding the pedal down???
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes, while the pedal is down I hear the noise, it gets the loudest when the it is fully depressed. I did see him grease the pilot shaft bearing. The noise is more of an annoyance then anything. I just don't want to damage anything.

I would start by putting car on jack stands, then while you get underneath with a flashlight have someone push the clutch pedal down, now with a flashlight look in the bell housing and see if the throwout arm is touching the pressure plate.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.