Thread: 1973 power antenna wiring

1973 power antenna wiring

Can anyone help me to understand how the factory wired up the power antenna for a 1973 911? I have an oem switch which is in the dash, so the radio will not be controlling it. I want to make sure this is done properly regarding the fuse to tap, how the wiring ran, etc,,,

I checked the Pelican PET and there is no diagram for this.

Thanks
    Last edited by denson; 07-11-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

member #1515
    could you post a picture of the switch? Al the ones I've seen are controlled by a lead off the radio.
    Are you sure that switch was factory installed to control the radio?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

From what I read, the feed is connected to terminal 30 on the light switch, ground is under instrument panel. No fuse.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

I will try to get a picture posted fast, but it is a black toggle switch and I have seen this switch on other 73 911 cars.
    John

RGruppe member 445

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

toggle switch

Hi John,

I had the same switch and an electric Hirschmann antenne in the RS but I am sure it was installed not a the factory but sometime later, either by Porsche or someone else. May be a coincidence but Italian (job) as well... The three-way toggle switch sat on the left side of the vent control, I gave the antenna to Robert Gross (sorry can't find pictures, was 10 yrs ago). The radio was 80's model I think. The RS's for the Italian market were delivered without too many options so doubt you will find many cars with that same toggle switch set up so if you are going to mount an electric antenna I would go for the original way via the contact. Was it an original option to your RS?

Best regards,

Cees

Picture shows the RS when I bought it.. Had SC electric mirrors, electric antenna, airco...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Cees,,,,

No, but the antenna is mounted inside the passenger fender and it should be a power unit if mounted to that side. I am using a standard euro Frankfurt and want to wire this as the factory did.

That was a good movie,,,, Italian Job! My rs is the standard non optioned car. I understand that the VAT tax was so high in Italy that orders were placed for non optioned cars to save the tax. It seems options were installed by the Porsche dealer when the cars arrived.

I still need to find a wiring diagram as the Porsche PET I am looking at does not show this.
    John

RGruppe member 445

member #1515
    thats an interesting Italian a/c. Did they cut the big hole in the passenger footwell?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Understood, is there no diagram in the original workshop manual?

No, they did not cut the big hole and then covered with a mesh. It had just two 1" hole the smuggler box/footwell were the lines ran. The thing actually worked but I stripped it out first.

Rgds, Cees

I do not have the worksop manuals for the car and thought the Porsche PET on Pelican would have had the wiring diagram.

If anyone has one or can reference me to one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    John

RGruppe member 445

I sent the factory manual pages covering that to Rick (longranger) and he posted them a couple months ago, should show up with a search.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.