Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historic Alfa - Romeo

Historic Alfa - Romeo

At the Alfa-Romeo Club's national convention, held near Santa Rosa this week, I attended the Concours yesterday and saw one of the most impressive, striking and influential of all pre-war Italian sports cars.....a '39 Alfa-Romeo 6C 2500 Super Sport Berlinetta Aerodinamica Coupe, with coachwork by Touring.

This car was based directly and very closely on the '38 8C 2900 ( the only example of which is in the Alfa-Romeo Museum today ) which A-R conceived and built to compete and win the Lemans 24 hour race that year. To A-R's great disappointment it competed as planned, but did not win. It was then sent off to run that year's Mille Mglia, but after that entry got "lost" for several decades before it was found, restored, and now is the Alfa-Romeo museum's star next to Giuseppe Farina's Tipo 158 World Championship winning Grand Prix car.

With the '38 experience on hand and considering the sheer amount of money invested in the project, for '39 A-R introduced the 6C 2500 SS Berlinetta Aerodinamica ( the car featured here ) for sale to wealthy clients who wanted a race-car based, truly grand touring coupe patterned directly after the Lemans design but much refined and housebroken for fast, luxurious long-distance road travel. Towards that goal, a smaller, more suitable 6-cylinder street engine was installed. A total 33 were built and sold by the time WW II broke out in September of '39.

The particular car featured here was "lost" soon after its initial sale and "discovered" in an inoperative state in Eastern Europe only in 1989, i.e. shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall.......however, it had lost its original body and had been converted very crudely to a hand-built cabriolet, with the original body nowhere to be found. The buyer of the car contacted Carrozzeria Touring in Milan and a deal was struck for Ing. Carlo Anderloni, the former head and CEO of Touring to undertake the complete and fully authentic recreation of the car to its absolutely original standards utilizing the services of master coachbuilder Dino Cognalato, the original builder of the car's original body who spent almost his entire working life at Touring beating panels and fitting them. It was the last project Ing. Anderloni undertook and finished.......sadly he passed in 2003. Complete documentation, including original photos and prints from '38 & '39 were used and accompany the car. There also exists complete proof that the original chassis, engine, powertrain and running gear are the basis of this restoration / recreation. It is currently housed in a San Francisco automotive museum collection.

The car created a sensation on its introduction in '39 and was considered revolutionary for the era, with such elements as the fully enveloping body, attention being paid to aerodynamics, and beautiful detail execution. The original engine is an in-line DOHC 6-cylinder displacing 2443 cc, with 3 dual-throat 36 DO2 Weber carbs, makes 125 HP @ 4800rpm, and sends power to the rear through a 4-speed transmission. Borrani wire wheels, independent front suspension with live rear axle, longitudinal torsion bars, hydraulic shocks all around, and hydraulic brakes with very large Alfin ( aluminum drums with cast iron friction liners cast in place ) drums complete the running gear.

Thanks for looking,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-12-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

...........and the second set of five.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Just beautiful. The metal bending skill is truly extraodinary. From behind it looks like a tear drop.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Outstanding John......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Seriously beautiful...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Pre-war design pinnacle
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Thanks for sharing these images, John! Carlo Felice Bianchi Anderloni's Alfa Romeo Le Mans Berlinettas and BMW Mille Miglia streamliners were the grand-daddys of everything that we hold dear in the sportscar world. Add the trans-Alpine Vittorio Jano/Viktor Janos engine design, and this was a car well worth its very proper re-creation. Just a stunner...

-- David

Sweet Hay zou.

How can you top a pre war Alfa?

Quote Originally Posted by TZombek View Post
    How can you top a pre war Alfa?
    Well, let's see, how do you top that ?

How about trying to close the loop with a couple of scanned film shots I took in 2005 at Pebble Beach when pretty much the entire contents of the Alfa Romeo Automobilismo Storico Museo were shipped to the US.

Shown below is the progenitor to the above maroon road car, its Papa so to speak, the 1938 Alfa-Romeo 8C 2900 B Speciale "LeMans", where the B stands for Berlinetta ( Coupe ) as opposed to the 8C 2900 Spyders ( which won the Targa Florio in '36, '37 and '38 and again in '47 ) on which this car was directly based.

If I may interject a personal observation, what's particularly noteworthy about this entire series of race and derived road cars is how a pure racing design was toned down and mellowed, "housebroken" as it were for typical European Grand Touring. I've been staring at photos of both, the race and road version, and cannot think of a single element or line that I would change on the road car, nor could I add one to equip it better for its intended purpose.........both just seem so right & final. Truly pinnacles of pre-war automotive design.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-14-2013 at 05:53 PM.