Thread: July Canepa Cars & Coffee

July Canepa Cars & Coffee

only have time for a very brief report of today's get-to-gether, but I do have two shots to offer.

The first of some obligatory Porsche parking lot content which just happens to be my choice of modern, water-cooled Porsche if I were to ever buy one.......the lime green one that is, of course, no offense to David Nine17.

The second shot just because I don't ever again expect to see a 917 being earnestly and by-God roadtested on a public boulevard by Bruce C. personally to ensure that the turbos are correctly tuned for next month's Monterey Historics in which the car is entered.

Memorable sight ,...........but an even more memorable sound !

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-14-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

No offense taken! However, you should reserve your choice of kettle until you've seen the fabulous 981 Cayman. The 987 is a toad (appropriately hued in this shot) in comparison to the beautifully resolved shape that Michael Mauer has wrought for the new mittel-motor. Make mine a PDK, and I'll keep the 3.2 Carrera for stick-and-rudder days. Many thanks for the coffee; I'm sorry that you had to make a hit-and-run visit to Wonderland today. The Guv'nor was in fine form...
    Last edited by Nine17; 07-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.

I actually like the roof on the 987 better than the 981. The 981 seems too convex - like a 911 but without the rear fender line mirroring the roof in a harmony. The 987 has those miniature flying buttresses that makes it seem taughter - like the greenhouse is smaller, and the fenders seem to go better with it. At least to my eye. Plus it harkens back to the 904 and 914.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    I actually like the roof on the 987 better than the 981.
    Have you seen the 981 in the flesh?

JMO, but I literally break out laughing when I see a the bulbous roof-hump of a 987 after seeing the sleek 981 Cayman parked-up next to an over-wrought Audi R8. I've got two kids in college, and I find myself looking for the money to buy one...

I can't remember seeing one on the road, only at the LA Autoshow. But there I definitely preferred the Boxster to the Cayman. It seems like it is trying to be a 911 with the roof redo, when it should be celebrating that it is different. At least that was how I saw it.

It might grow on me, though. I think they had a yellow one in LA and that would not be my choice in color. Metallics seem to be better.

Agreed about the color! Speed Yellow (or Giallo Fly for that matter) will ruin just about any car design...

-- David