Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's my problem with the new 911.

Here's my problem with the new 911.

As great as the new car is, this says it all. (Porsche Photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

I parked my '67 next to a new Boxster a few months ago. You could walk completely around my car inside of the parking space it was in. The Boxster? Not so much.

Funny..356 owners said the same thing when the 911 came out
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

What is Porsche supposed to do? If they don't compete with the rest of the world manufacturers, they go out of business simple as that. According to the newest Pano - "Porsche's US sales are on fire." so clearly they are doing something right. Otherwise, this would be the Triumph or Healey club and we'd be talking about SU carbs or Lucas ignition.

I just drove a 991 which is amazing. I intend to keep the two 911's that I have and add a 991 as soon as I possibly can. The great thing about 50 years of the 911 is that we can choose the year that fits our desires the best. Or own multiple ones and choose a different one for the day of the week. I think it's sensational and continued success to Porsche!
    David

1972 911T Targa
    1993 964 RSA #14
    Early S Registry #1799
    PAID MEMBER 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by mvboy View Post
    What is Porsche supposed to do? If they don't compete with the rest of the world manufacturers, they go out of business simple as that. According to the newest Pano - "Porsche's US sales are on fire." so clearly they are doing something right. Otherwise, this would be the Triumph or Healey club and we'd be talking about SU carbs or Lucas ignition.

I just drove a 991 which is amazing. I intend to keep the two 911's that I have and add a 991 as soon as I possibly can. The great thing about 50 years of the 911 is that we can choose the year that fits our desires the best. Or own multiple ones and choose a different one for the day of the week. I think it's sensational and continued success to Porsche!
    Wow. Spot on.

Porsche has evolved, they had to in order to survive as a brand.

The realities of the market have driven that process. Remember all the consternation over the Cayenne? Now it's big sales volume=big profits. Al least now they, like Ferrari, have a sugar daddy being part of the VAG family.
    Last edited by Bummler; 07-14-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Obvously "we" all prefer the more distinguished 911, but as was mentioned above, what is Porsche going to do? From what I understand, it's technically impossible to build a car with the dimensions of our beloved steeds. Where are you going to put the impact resistance, PDK, radiator, airbags, functional A/C etc.
    it's also been said many times, but I know which one I'd rather be driving in an accident.
    It's the sale of the new cars and the more broad market appeal that keeps the brand going.
    We should really be complaining about monstrosities like the Panamera and Cayenne diluting out the brand.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I remember the first time I saw a 911 (a 70`S silver/black) in 1970;I was 17.I commented to a friend,What a cheap looking car! He said,It`s a PORSCHE 911 S, it`s not a cheap car at all! I was comparing it to my 56 chevy, 2 door,two tone,custom sedan. I had always liked the real metal cars,356 Porsche. 911 just looked cheap! About this time the teacher that owned the car came along and chatted with us.She said that her husband always wanted a Porsche and they bought it new. Funny thing is, in the fourth grade ,my teacher Miss Hickman,(I was in-love) I was 10, had a single grill 356 red convertible, and was talking to her as she was leaving & commeted ,`What a funny looking car`.She said, this is an expensive German car that her boy friend owns and is German. Shortly after, she married the German & never saw her agin..Mabe she or her Husband & the 911 owners are on ths Registry or 356 registry today! Any way, New is new & old is old, I sure do like them all:356,911,991...(Gehringer Grade School 1962/3, LUHS 1971).... Oh, and my first ride in a Porsche was from my dentist`s wife. She had 356 SC convertiable and gave me a spirited ride back to LUHS afte my appointment, I was impressed!
    Last edited by Cliff; 07-14-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Cars have grown in size for two very significant reasons: pedestrian safety and passenger safety. Certain safety mandates require manufacturers to build in crumple zones and certain distances within the car. For example, let's say your head were to impact the headliner during an accident; Porsche has specific requirements for how much distance your head has to travel through the headliner before it hits the roof skin. Same for if you hit a pedestrian - the car has to "give" a certain amount so the person only gets maimed instead of killed.

Those are the primary reasons for the ever increasing size of vehicles.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687