Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct '68 Paint/Fnish Sequence for Trunk & Cabin

Correct '68 Paint/Fnish Sequence for Trunk & Cabin

Fellow Enthusiasts,

A couple years ago, there was an excellent thread about the correct paint/finish sequence for the front trunk and cabin of SWB 911s. I have tried to query the threads using the 'search' function, but unfortunately I've been unsuccessful. Would someone be able to resurrect that old thread, or provide me with the correct information?

I have my '68 SWT down to bare steel, and I'd like to get it covered, especially in the cabin and front trunk areas. If i recall the article, there was black paint, body color paint, and bodyschutz applied, but I can't recall the location or sequence for each. Plus, the front trunk seemed to be different from the cabin.

Also, if I recall, it was histgorically common to apply bodyscutz directly over steel, which I would probably not want to duplicate. Is there a consensus in the Early 911S Registry about what materials would best cover the bare steel to preserve our cars?

Thank you, in advance, for your help. Despite trying, I am apparently not adept at search queries.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    Fellow Enthusiasts,

A couple years ago, there was an excellent thread about the correct paint/finish sequence for the front trunk and cabin of SWB 911s. I have tried to query the threads using the 'search' function, but unfortunately I've been unsuccessful. Would someone be able to resurrect that old thread, or provide me with the correct information?

I have my '68 SWT down to bare steel, and I'd like to get it covered, especially in the cabin and front trunk areas. If i recall the article, there was black paint, body color paint, and bodyschutz applied, but I can't recall the location or sequence for each. Plus, the front trunk seemed to be different from the cabin.

Also, if I recall, it was histgorically common to apply bodyscutz directly over steel, which I would probably not want to duplicate. Is there a consensus in the Early 911S Registry about what materials would best cover the bare steel to preserve our cars?

Thank you, in advance, for your help. Despite trying, I am apparently not adept at search queries.
    The trunk and engine compartment are all black , no body paint color. inside the doors are body with black along edges, inside jams all paint color. if it s a swt, targa bar is body color too.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Thanks for this. I am in exactly the same situation. My inner trunk lining and engine compartment lining are still fine and I intend to leave it that way.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

sorry to ask this, but black gloss, semi-gloss, satin or flat?

thank you.

You sparked my curiosity, on my unmolested 68, it appears more satin than flat, and less semi-gloss. If anything, its not flat.

Quote Originally Posted by 1968DT View Post
    You sparked my curiosity, on my unmolested 68, it appears more satin than flat, and less semi-gloss. If anything, its not flat.
    I have a Non-fu**ed with trunk 1968 Porsche and it is NOT Flat. I would guess that there was NO "satin" black in that period of paint products, so I would say it is gloss black.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

i'm pretty sure there was a black finish in less than full gloss in '68. they used a similar finish in 356s because the 356 registry had sugestions for the amount of flattener that was required to make the correct black for 356 chassis.

does anyone have informaton on whether the non-flat AND non-full-gloss was closer to what we now know as "satin" or "semi-gloss"?

thank you

It appears between flat and satin on mine (not changed since it mine was made). Could be fade over time. Also, this thread (door first) shows a long sequence of pics from an unmolested 68.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1059288...18591715684002

https://picasaweb.google.com/1059288...at=directlink#

If I may add a subsidiary question: What is the strip around the door panel? Mine are missing. Are they available or is that a simple 'p' strip?

Name:  68 911 Coupe 023.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  141.8 KB
    Last edited by Merv; 07-19-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Although I have had my 68 911 repainted, the inside of the doors are original. Note the black is applied sloppy with even some drips. My trunk area is mostly original, although I did touch up some subpar areas. I'd show you the engine bay, but I refinished it, although I did try and duplicate its' original finish. Hope this helps...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

What is the 'beading' around the edge of the door card?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars: