Thread: Oil Cooling in SWB

Oil Cooling in SWB

I am nearing the end of my parts quest. I am swapping a 2.0L S spec engine for a 2.0 L normal engine (sorta hotrod I guess. I live in Houston, hot! Anyway, I have a new radiator style cooler but I'm pretty sure a trombone cooler will do fine for my type of driving. I think the trombone cooler is a more elegant solution but of course not "authentic". What do y'all think? I still need the hoses and thermo, I've got the correct gauge, but for some reason the trombone style just seems simpler. Has anyone installed a trombone into an earlier car? Does it fit?

Thanks.

Dan

The 2.0 SWB S engine didn't need a cooler. I had one that was "modified" lightly and used to have a heck of a time getting it up to temperature. Probably stick a Mocal in there just for the fact that it will do a better job.
    The trombones worked "OK" on the early 2.7 engines but were pretty poor with the 3.0 SC engines. Thats how the 28 row coolers came about. And then the Carrera changed it all in '84.
    Check Elephant Parts/Chuck Moreland for more information. They have a slick setup that's thought out and combed out.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

If you need a cooler only infrequently, consider a simpler and much less expensive water squirter. What oil temps are you seeing? Synthetic oil will stand higher temps and generally runs cooler, in my experience (5,000 ft and above).

Frank

I'm in Fort Worth, and I'm with you, I'll take a little over kill. My 67 S has a radiator (3.2 style) cooler with the louvered plate installed (very important for air flow) and on the +100 degree days I can cruise at 80 mph with 190-195 oil temp,,,I like that over kill. The trombone will be better than nothing, once all the plumbing is done it's simple to change to the radiator style if you find the trombone isn't enough.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

What type of benefits will a 2.0 or 2.2 see from overdriving the fan? My understanding is that it's a relatively inexpensive way to bring temps down.

Thanks,
    -Mike

Besides my concern for the ambient temps in Houston, the engine swap is 2.0L 69 S spec. Not sure if it runs hotter than an earlier S engine but Porsche seemed to think so. What would be a "normal" cruising temp for this engine? My gauge now doesn't have the #'s, just the bar range. I have a 901.641.501.10 temp/press gauge that I will put in with the swap. I like the simple look of the trombone, with OEM type hoses but either way, I don't want to overheat a new rebuilt. Decisions, decisions...Ed, I may have to drive up to Fort Worth and see how hot it gets up there...

Add the later fan shroud with the ducting for the engine oil cooler and the duck on the back of the alternator will do a lot.
    Then add the trombone oil cooler if you need more.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    What type of benefits will a 2.0 or 2.2 see from overdriving the fan? My understanding is that it's a relatively inexpensive way to bring temps down.

Thanks,
    -Mike
    Honestly don't know Mike,,,,never tried it, I'm sure it helps to some degree (yes, that was intended!)
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Interesting article Tom, thanks,
    Ed
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.