Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M & K Stainless Steel Mufflers

M & K Stainless Steel Mufflers

I am upgrading to SSIs and would like to stay stainless all the way to the muffler.
    Anyone have an opinion on how much noise the stainless will be vs the OEM galv/painted steel--heavier muffler?
    Does it depend on rev range?
    I like a great note as much as anybody, but I don't want to tear up the neighborhood or give myself a headache after a pleasent drive tearing around in my '71.

Scope Creep Poster Child
    If you stick to a one-out, it's pretty reasonable. Two-out might be too much. Even single out will be louder than the original, but o, the sound! If you're careful about not using a bunch of throttle you will be able to sneak out of the neighborhood without pissing off anyone but the most sensitive. You won't think it's too loud from inside the car. The M&K is also about 15 pounds lighter than the standard muffler.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Curious how the sound of the muffler is no louder inside the car esp w/ a Targa. Again trying to avoid long drive headaches!

Scope Creep Poster Child
    My car was a coupe, but to your question, wind noise exceeded exhaust noise at 70 mph, so long trips didn't propose any issue with exhaust noise. The wind noise was tiresome, but not the sound of the exhaust. I think that droning is another matter, and that phenomenon seems to be associated with two-out systems, so I didn't have any trouble with that.

Now, if you are at full throttle and 7000 rpms, that's another matter entirely.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

I am sticking w/ the one-out and not the sport model--unpolished.
    Thanks for your replies Scott--heap of money I'm throwing at this thing, confident in its value nice, but to have someone out there in the virtual night studying the problem.
    David

Scope Creep Poster Child
    David-

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Once it's all installed, head directly to the nearest long tunnel. Slow to about 20mph at the entrance, then accelerate as hard as possible. If all of the hairs on your arms aren't completely perpendicular to your skin by 6000 rpm then seek medical attention!
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    I have the M&K sport muffler. It is very tolerable inside. One suggestion, I had the tips polished but not the entire muffler. Really made a big difference.

This is the M&K that I bought for my 2.0 SWB. Sadly I haven't fired the motor yet to give you an evaluation of the sound and noise level.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It looks clean, functional and all business. I'm sure it'll work out--once we all get our cars outa the shop!

I have a M&K 2 in one out on my 71 Targa. I got it from a local guy with a Cab TOO loud for him and his wife, The targa is a bit more sheltered with the rear glass and Targa bar compared to the Cab. running about 2.4 E spec with Webers on the ex T motor. the sound is so sweet, and addicting but not too loud, drove to Amelia Island with a stop for gas about 7 hrs i guess, no complaints from me or passenger. Around the local mountains hard to keep off the pipe. I am using the minimal baffel, this was for a 3L if I remember right, I did have to trim the outlet pipe (both pcs) by about 1.5" to center the outlet on the narrow body 71 but no big deal.

Go for it!

Regards