Thread: ROW 2.2 T performance upgrades

ROW 2.2 T performance upgrades

Hi,
    I have a 1970 2.2 T ROW spec car engine, so its running Zenith carbs rather than MFI. I've read the Bruce Anderson performance handbook that says I can put 2.2 S pistons on the car, raising the compression and gaining the S performance.... which would mean it would jump from 125 to 180 BHP.
    There are a few obvious other differences between the 2.2 T and S which make me think that this power jump without changing the carbs and maybe pistons is a bit optimistic.

Has anyone tried this? I'd be interested in other performance ideas for the 2.2 T running Zeniths.

Thanks all

Paul

If I had it to do over again I would add solex cams and more compression. keep reading the anderson book for more info. try the zeniths with that cam and a little bigger main jets. I ended up modifying my zeniths with bigger weber venturis and while I got more power it was never as sweet running as it was all stock. Oh and add insulator blocks under the carbs to avoid fuel percolation. Steve

Thanks Steve. It doesn't sound like you're too enamoured with the end result, maybe i'll leave it alone.

Paul, while I'll agree any method of raising the compression will add some horsepower, I don't see you getting from 125 to 180 with just that change. Realize that an engine is just an air pump, you have to bring quantities of air in, then burn it, then pump it back out. Small displacement engines get their H.P. by more RPM, to make an S engine from a T you would also need their cams, which would then require larger ports than your T has to increase the volumetric efficiency, larger venturis, a different advance curve in the distributor, and tuneable carburetors, which the Zeniths are not. Webers would need to be used since there is a ton of different components for them to adapt them to any engine requirements. As chiroracer said, he had to modify Weber parts to work. Zeniths work great on the 2.2 engine they were designed for, but due to lack of variable parts are not easily tuneable for different engines. You can get there from here, but it is not simple, you need to consider the whole package.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.