Thread: My recent experience with the 944 rear rotor for swb cars deal.

My recent experience with the 944 rear rotor for swb cars deal.

IMHO, not worth it. Yes, swb (vented) rear rotors are ridiculously priced at $260.00 ea. The applicable 944 rotor (Zimmerman) is @ $70.00 ea. Savings: $380/pair. However, many differences have to be sorted out. The o.d of the rotor needs to be reduced to 280 mm. The 2 securing screw holes need to be redrilled, countersunk, and tapped accurately. The inner hand-brake hub is dimensionally different, resulting in less shoe contact. Then, there is a 'ridge' on the inside of the hat which must be turned down ever so slightly for the rotor to sit flush on the driveplate. Lastly, having done all that, the thickness of the surface between the driveplate and road wheel is less on the 944 rotor. This results in the brake pad surfaces being located too-far inboard to be centered within the caliper, thus requiring a spacer to position the rotor outboard. Here in the S.F bay area, the machine costs will consume the initial savings. Sure, it can be done, but to me, not worth it. So, I'll have a nice Vodka Marti, take a deep breath, and settle for absurd pricing for bolt-on, correct items, safe in the knowledge that I should never, ever have to buy them again. (for this car, anyway.)
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I'd get rid of the car and just start over with another one

Thanks, it is always instructive to get the details of the differences.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I'd get rid of the car and just start over with another one
    This POS!

Dave, Sorry for not providing any more 'measured' data, but I hope it helps others. Brian
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"